EVAP help please. - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
EVAP help please.
Thursday, December 26, 2013 8:44 PM
This car has been cursed by the damn EVAP code, p0440. '02 Cavalier OHV, car runs great beside bad hub bearing and this cursed EVAP problem. I already bought a new canister, a new purge valve, a new hose for the canister to the valve, and a new gas cap, twice. There's no leak anywhere when I smoke test it. What gives? This is really getting under my skin lately. Just don't want to take it to the Chevy dealership and have them charge me $500 to just look at it.

Re: EVAP help please.
Friday, December 27, 2013 5:36 AM
I had this same problem. I changed the gas cap and smoke tested it and nothing came out and code stayed on and one day was under the car and noticed some wires had gotten cut by the fuel tank which i believe it was the fuel sending unit I re soldered them and light went off. Not saying that's whats wrong with yours but never hurts to check I guess lol.

Friday, December 27, 2013 7:01 AM
zee2euce4our wrote:I had this same problem. I changed the gas cap and smoke tested it and nothing came out and code stayed on and one day was under the car and noticed some wires had gotten cut by the fuel tank which i believe it was the fuel sending unit I re soldered them and light went off. Not saying that's whats wrong with yours but never hurts to check I guess lol.

cut wires for a fuel sending unit would make said unit not work. probably a coincidence.

OP, i chased a problem for 2 years. smoke tested twice, first time was fine, second time revealed a HUGE leak on top of the tank. Turns out one of the lines INTO or out of the canister had come undone.

Also, try the purge valve under the hood if there is one.

Friday, December 27, 2013 8:07 AM
Often times the plastic barbs on the top of the sending unit crack and leak as well.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, December 28, 2013 9:34 AM
Is there a way to access to the top of the tank without removing it from the car or no?
Saturday, December 28, 2013 10:02 AM
Negative, you'll have to pull the tank down.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, December 28, 2013 11:33 AM
Well shoot. Might have to ignore it then, just the engine light that really bothers me.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search