Continuous grinding at 15 mph. - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Continuous grinding at 15 mph.
Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:23 PM
This has started happening recently, it was a weird clicking vibration or grinding-ish vibration between 15-20 mph when I accelerate. When I cruise exactly at 15mph, you can obviously feel the clicking/grinding vibration on the driver's side. I don't know if there's a noise because I'm dead in both ears with cochlear implants. What gives? First thought I had is a hub bearing going bad in one of the front wheels.

Re: Continuous grinding at 15 mph.
Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:23 PM
Deaf* in both ears
Thursday, December 12, 2013 11:04 PM
It probably is a bad cv joint.Easy way to FEEL it is jack the car up enough one side at a time and rotate the wheel by hand you can feel any ODD vibes if the cv is toast or going.I would also check your boots for leaking grease another tell if has lost grease and well grinding.Do both sides and then determine.Now also another check is take the wheel off and check for the hub having slop up/down or side to side and any premature wear on the brake rotor(you can see any scratches) this would point to the bearing in the hub is going bad..If no markings on the rotor and no slop in hub,then consider replacing the cv joint or rather the whole axle.It is cheaper to just replace the whole axle versus rebuilding or even in some cases replacing a busted up cv boot imo.Just my thoughts any if the bearing in the hub is toast it has to pressed in unless on the Js it is some technique I am not fluent with.The hub has to be removed to do this job.Now you can take the hub off and take to a machine shop to have the bearing inserted and old removed of course just a heads up.

Friday, December 13, 2013 12:37 PM
Thanks for replying, that is so helpful, I also noticed when I turn either way at 15 mph, the grinding gets more obvious..
Friday, December 13, 2013 10:01 PM
Probably a cv joint and how many miles do you have on the ride.If the boot is busted or not just do a whole new reman axle unless the checks say otherwise.

Saturday, December 14, 2013 7:34 AM
I checked all the boots on the axles today and I don't see any cracks and such, no leaks either. And she just turned 125,000 miles. Is it okay to drive like that for a while? I spent all of my money on Christmas gifts and I travel around 320 miles a week, 95% highway driving.
Saturday, December 14, 2013 11:48 PM
If it making noise it will only get worse.I personally would not prolong driving it if this is just a small issue now.This is a indication the cv joint is going bad and while no boot damage or leaks is good(this would be worse if these were present).I would def get the cv joints replaced which ever side seems to make the noise.Worst case is the joint could fail and lock up.Then you would need a tow.A simple check with the front end off the ground and the car running up to speed while rear wheels chocked and use jack stands to be SAFE!.This will isolate the side with noise.You would have to turn the wheel left to right etc to verify.Most shops put it on lift to do this as it is well safer so the car will not move.I am pretty tired and unless you are planning to do the work most shops can do a check and advise (free idk about that) but I would at least get this checked and fixed soon.A cv joint failing is nothing good especially on the road.

Sunday, December 15, 2013 6:57 AM
Oh man you're worrying me. The vibration isn't too obvious right now, but I'll take in tomorrow to my school's auto shop.
Monday, December 16, 2013 7:02 PM
Now I'm feeling random vibrations at all speeds, not sure if related to this...
Tuesday, December 17, 2013 5:41 AM
wheel hub bearing
Tuesday, December 17, 2013 8:32 AM
Really? So it's either the hub bearing or the cv joint? And how long does it take to replace the hub? I know the bearing is pressed in there so I probably have to get another hub with a bearing already in it

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 11:30 PM
I was super tired Monday so no post.I think the hub bearing as well.You could do the bearing and then if later the noise or issue reappear then the cv.I am def tired as well tonight.The cv joints do last a good while as long as the boot is good and loses no grease in general.The bearings I do believe fail more so in your gen model.

Saturday, December 28, 2013 11:38 AM
Had a friend check it out who works at the dealership. It's confirmed it's the hub bearing. But thanks for your replies!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search