Blowing cig lighter fuses, anything I should look at? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Blowing cig lighter fuses, anything I should look at?
Sunday, December 29, 2013 5:59 PM
I plugged my 12v tire inflator in to my Sunfire to inflate my bicycle tires, never had an issue in another car inflating car tires. However, when the machine started to bog down when it hit 40 PSI for the first time it blew a fuse. I swapped a fuse from the rear heater in and was careful with the other bike tire, but if it is popping 25/30A fuses after only ten seconds of work then either the wiring is too small, or something is grounding out.

I will install an AMP and 2 speakers tomorrow, if I have to I will run or tap into the positive wire wherever I decide to run it and wire it up directly to the battery with an inline fuse.

Re: Blowing cig lighter fuses, anything I should look at?
Sunday, December 29, 2013 9:43 PM
I have see the entire dash harness melt on a cavalier when someone plugged in a cigarette lighter plug into the 12v outlet. It literally melted the dash around the gauges and all the wires were bare melted copper no coating on them. I would be very careful. Took me forever to fix the car since all the wires were melted into the dash and all the plugs were melted.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Re: Blowing cig lighter fuses, anything I should look at?
Tuesday, December 31, 2013 10:37 AM
You could put a clamp ammeter around the power cable, to see how many amps the pump is drawing when running. If it's really pulling that many amps... it's way too much for your car to handle.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search