Clutch Grind - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Clutch Grind
Monday, December 30, 2013 9:45 AM
My clutch grinds intermittently when all the way depressed. It has only happened a few times so far, and it goes away after a little while. This is the first time I've been in my car while it happened, as it happened before when either of my parents borrowed my car. I crawled underneath and looked through the flywheel/clutch hole in the transmission, and it was a terrible metal on metal grinding, only when the clutch is all the way in. The clutch hasn't slipped at all, and bites just fine. When it isn't grinding though. I searched on the forum for anything, but I didn't find anything related. What would this be?
It's an 03 so it has the Getrag.

Re: Clutch Grind
Monday, December 30, 2013 10:48 AM
Sounds like the throw out bearing if it only does it with the pedal depressed. Unfortunate, because you need to pull the tranny to replace it.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, December 30, 2013 12:10 PM
Well ironically enough, it's not the clutch at all. It's the starter grinding on the flywheel. I have a short on the starter circuit and I know exactly where it's at. Pretty funny starting your car by just pushing the clutch in.
Monday, December 30, 2013 12:31 PM
LOL. Well at least you found it and it sounds like an easy fix.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, December 30, 2013 1:28 PM
Oh yeah,I got lucky. It was intermittent so that was my first clue. Simplest solution while I was driving was just to not push the clutch in all the way. A tad bit hard to do sometimes.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search