changing my manual transmission - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
changing my manual transmission
Thursday, January 02, 2014 12:48 PM
I'm having to get another transmission, are all the 5 speed transmissions interchangeable?
Or do I have to worry about aluminum ones vs. non-aluminum?

Re: changing my manual transmission
Thursday, January 02, 2014 12:55 PM
You will need one from a cavalier or sunfire with the same motor, or youll have to change bell housings.

According to your car info youll also need to keep it 95-99. In 2000 they changed to a different trans.
Thursday, January 02, 2014 7:19 PM
95-99 is an Isuzu transmission - post 99 is a Muncie transmission. The Isuzu is problematic, the synchros are known to fail.

You can swap the Muncie in but you need a new clutch master cylinder, hose, slave cylinder, and tranny mounts, also you have to cut the mounts off your frame and weld different ones in different locations for the Muncie, and some other details. Lots of info and how-to on here. The good news is the Muncie is a stronger unit but it has its issues, too, including a funny unsettling rattle that makes you think your clutch is blowing apart.
Thursday, January 02, 2014 10:10 PM
Thanks for the info, Philly and Russell.
Any info is appreciated
Friday, January 03, 2014 6:12 AM
Russell Farnum wrote:95-99 is an Isuzu transmission - post 99 is a Muncie transmission. The Isuzu is problematic, the synchros are known to fail.

You can swap the Muncie in but you need a new clutch master cylinder, hose, slave cylinder, and tranny mounts, also you have to cut the mounts off your frame and weld different ones in different locations for the Muncie, and some other details. Lots of info and how-to on here. The good news is the Muncie is a stronger unit but it has its issues, too, including a funny unsettling rattle that makes you think your clutch is blowing apart.

It is a getrag trans not a muncie.
Saturday, January 04, 2014 7:40 PM
Could I just keep on driving without changing the transmission? It's only slipping out of 5th gear.
Tuesday, January 07, 2014 8:49 PM
For the years 95-99, do I have to worry about Izusu and Muncie or will either one work for my 97 Cavalier?
Wednesday, January 08, 2014 6:36 AM
Like said, all 95-99 are the same and all 2000 and newer are the same, only difference is bellhousing, If you have the 2.2L, get a transmission from a 95-99 with a 2.2L.
If you want a Getrag (IMO a better trans), you can swap it, but it requires some work.

Also if its just slipping in 5th gear, maybe its a clutch or something that is the problem? Transmission may be fine and may just need a clutch and/or slave cylinder or something? Have you tried heavy acceleration in 1st or 2nd? Does it slip then?

I just re read your post, now is it slipping in 5th or does it pop out of gear in 5th? If it pops out, ignore the above....

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 7:47 PM
It pops out of gear in 5th, but mostly only when I shift to 5th at higher speeds, like 50mph and above. Here in town I can drive it slowly and it usually does not pop out. First through fourth gears seem to be ok, and I can do without 5th here in town, so I wondered if I can just keep driving it or should I replace it immediately?

Ok so the Getrag is for the year 2000, but I think I have read or heard before that for 95-99 there is a Muncie and Isuzu. Is that true? And if it's true, do I need to worry about it or are they inter-changeable ?
Saturday, January 11, 2014 12:15 PM
95-99 are isuzu's and 2000-2005 are getrag f23s. you should check your tranny fluid! mine started popping out of gear when it got low on tranny fluid and locked up a few months later.

Saturday, January 11, 2014 7:32 PM
Dante Bianchini wrote:95-99 are isuzu's and 2000-2005 are getrag f23s. you should check your tranny fluid! mine started popping out of gear when it got low on tranny fluid and locked up a few months later.

thanks, I will check the fluid.

I think 95-99 are also made by Muncie. Is this something I need to worry about? Or will all the 95-99's work on my 97?

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 8:41 PM
and another question, these transmissions take 2 bottles of synchromesh oil, is that right?
Saturday, January 18, 2014 11:46 AM
in the getrag most people run synthetic atf. i run 2.3 quarts of royal purple synthetic max atf in my getrag. I'm not 100% sure about pre 2000 trannys but I think you're correct with the synchromesh. you might want to check a manual to be sure.

Saturday, January 18, 2014 11:56 AM
i just did some looking around and yes, the isuzu can only take synchromesh! id highly recommend the royal purple even though its more expensive! stuff makes shifting silent and perfectly smooth, its just great stuff. and heres a link to it: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Royal-Purple-1-qt-Synchromax-manual-transmission-fluid/_/N-255s?itemIdentifier=807688. you can find it at pretty much any auto parts store but auto zone seems to be $1 cheaper than the other places.

Saturday, January 18, 2014 11:59 AM
j r wrote:
Dante Bianchini wrote:95-99 are isuzu's and 2000-2005 are getrag f23s. you should check your tranny fluid! mine started popping out of gear when it got low on tranny fluid and locked up a few months later.

thanks, I will check the fluid.

I think 95-99 are also made by Muncie. Is this something I need to worry about? Or will all the 95-99's work on my 97?

i don't think it will be anything you will need to worry about. just try to find an isuzu. when i got mine i got it out of a 2004 lss ecotec and all i had to do was switch the bell housing. but I'm not sure if the isuzu tranny can just have the bell housings switched. are you gonna be doing it yourself?

Saturday, January 18, 2014 7:38 PM
a friend of mine will do it tomorrow.

I found one off of a 99 Cavalier, and mine is 97 so hopefully it will be alright. I'm just confused because I don't know how to tell a Muncie and an Isuzu apart.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search