Spark plugs worn out fast? LD9, everything else looks okay... - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Spark plugs worn out fast? LD9, everything else looks okay...
Thursday, January 02, 2014 7:42 AM
Hey, I replaced my spark plugs about 20000km ago and on Tuesday the car was running like crap. I figured it had to be something else, but pulled plugs out and they were worn, deposit build up and electrode was worn down, gap was about .075" or so. The plugs I used were TR55GP Platinum plugs, I know Iridium last longer but thought a person should get 50-100k km's out of the platinum? I cleaned them up since all the stores were closed on Tuesday and Wednesday and the car now runs better again, I will be picking up new plugs today but just wondering why they would be wear so quick? The boots need replacing to. The metal coil inside is good but the insulator piece is starting to crack on them and look bad. I tested the coil housing and it looks good, coils look good. I am still thinking a 2.2 coil or neon coil swap will be happening soon.
Over the new year, I have done extensive research on coil swaps and spark plugs but still had a few questions.
1. like asked above, how long should platinum's last? If I have to change them every 20000km, okay, they are cheap but thought they should last longer....
2. I see most people are running 2.2 coils, it seems the neon coil has a little less voltage but is way cheaper set up. Does anyone know the voltage of the 2.4 coils? I found 40000volts for 2.2 MSD coil, not sure about factory and I think 36000volts for neon MSD coil, not sure about factory? everything I found says its the same as the MSD. Any reason why the 2.2 is better than the neon coil besides the extra voltage? I am leaning towards the neon coil but not 100% set on it.
3. What does everyone do with there ICM if they delete there IDI cover? All the pictures I've found have red x's or had the IDI cover still on. I know some people get rid of the IDI cover, just not sure what they do with the ICM? I thought I seen someone mount a heat sink to it and relocated it but this was about 2 years ago I seen this and can not find any pictures or info on it.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Re: Spark plugs worn out fast? LD9, everything else looks okay...
Thursday, January 02, 2014 9:59 AM
Well after reading like 100 pages, I found someone that says stock 2.4 coils are 18,000 - 20,000 volts, so if thats true, neon or 2.2 coils will be a big upgrade, I think Im going to cheap out and just pick up a used neon coil and 2.2 wires from the junkyard since I need connectors and few other things anyways. May upgrade to MSD in future but will try that for now.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**

Thursday, January 02, 2014 2:25 PM
Well the neon coil is in and the harness is made, pretty simple. I see that the 2.2 wires are way to short though, what does everyone use for wires or does everyone go with universal cut to length wires? I want to mount the coil by the strut mount.

Friday, January 03, 2014 12:18 PM
Well, not sure if anyone is even looking at this thread but got some new toys anyways, I needed new wires and went to get MSD 8.5mm Universal cut to lenghts and well I was there, they had a Performance World Neon Coil. The guy there says that it has more power than the MSD, whether or not thats true I figured why not, it was $50 for the coil. MSD, they had to order in for $75. Should of just bought the coil from them to begin with, I can still bring old stuff back to junk yard for instore credit. I also went with TR55IX Iridium plugs this time, see if they last longer.... Not sure if a weak ignition system will cause them to wear faster? I know before it takes 2-3 cranks to fire, now, its like half a crank and vroom... idles and accelerates a lot smoother too. The MSD wire kit is very nice too, they have lots of extra ends and that.

Anyways, here are some pictures, it was dirty under IDI cover. For now, I decided to keep the IDI cover but may make a bracket to mount the ICM elsewhere, Still might make the coil bracket nicer too but for now, it will do, this is not a show car. If anyone has pictures of ICM's mounted elsewhere, please post them up. I may just leave it on IDI though, it comes off pretty quick.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search