Heater Problem!!! - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Heater Problem!!!
Saturday, November 30, 2013 4:37 AM
Hey i have a 1995 chevy cavalier z24 and my heat will not blow hot.Things ive tried is new heater core,thermostat,blend door is working and replaced the control panel,Any help would be appreciated,Thanks

Re: Heater Problem!!!
Sunday, December 01, 2013 1:28 AM
Ok you have done two good items and the controls.But things I would check are do your upper and lower radiator hoses even get hot?I would check these and the other two major items like the waterpump and radiator may be the real issue.If you did not flush the system really good,or the radiator has a reduced flow rate or the water pump is not up to par could contribute to the problem.I assume you installed the thermostat correct and your rad cap is good.Even new thermostats can be defective.I have placed cardboard in front of the radiator to speed up the heating process and or leave a partial piece in the cold months to increase the time for the car to warm up especially in a cold climate.I suspect your now 18 year old radiator maybe not up to par and or waterpump.I experienced a similar issue but on a diff brand and did a new rad,heater core and wp and problem solved.I do recommend a new rad cap(I know these cars) may have the cap on the resivour but it does matter.1st check with the car warmed up the feel of the hoses for warm,hot,or cold this will indicate a weak wp or a radiator needing replacement(do not waste money on redoing a old rad) buy new.I am fairly tired so forgive me if I got this all of the place.Oh make sure your upper/lower hoses and even the heater core hoses are not collapsing internally.I recommend replacing the basic hoses every 4yrs as do most hose manuf.

Sunday, December 01, 2013 6:50 AM
Thanks ill try all that today.
Thursday, December 12, 2013 8:03 AM
Any other reasons it may not work??
Thursday, December 12, 2013 9:47 AM
Like Ron Said, while the engine is warming up feel both upper and lower radiator hoses. At operating temperature both of them should be hot. If one is hot and the other is cold you either have air in the system or a faulty thermostat. check both heater core hoses too and make sure there are both hot. if one is hot and the other cold you either have a clogged heater core or air in the system. Make sure to bleed the coolant system out. leave the cap off and at operating temp rev the engine to get to coolant flowing.
Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:25 PM
Today in my auto shop class, we had a jeep that wouldn't have heat and turns out, the cooling system was as grimy it can get, and was basically clogged. Try a coolant flush and make sure it's circulating through the engine.
Friday, December 13, 2013 10:12 PM
I personally like using lime away or a off brand similar to flush my cooling systems.This imo is far better and will remove more goo,crud,build up than any of the store bought flushes.I can attest this is SAFE to use! I used this to do my 87 mazda truck and drain,fill with water one bottle of say lime away(I buy the dollar general brand) $1.00.Then with heat on,fan high,some cardboard in front of radiator to speed the process,rad cap OFF at idle for 15-20 minutes.Then let cool and drain,refill clean water and same process again.IF after 1st clean water flush still murky repeat with clean water process for a 2nd time to remove any residual trash.Last mix coolant to proper ratio and repeat for same time frame roughly.This product removes more debris from the coolant passages by far and is very cheap and effective.Now if after all this and still weak heat,new radiator,or thermostat or waterpump maybe the next step.Sometimes no amount of flushing will clear the crap in a old oem radiator and you will notice a day to night difference on warming and cooling as long as the waterpump is GOOD and thermostat is working correctly and not sticking.Even NEW thermostats fail from day 1!

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 9:00 AM
Ok so my heater still dont but i have a ? i did notice the coolant never gets warm/hot in the tank.Any suggestions on that.
Tuesday, January 07, 2014 11:13 AM
Just to confirm, you tried everything above?
-Both rad hoses are warm/hot
-Both heater hoses going to firewall are hot? (there is a H piece in the middle of these, I think its some kind bypass valve if heater core is clogged? Maybe its defective?)
-Did you try bleeding system? with cap off? does your coolant build pressure with cap on? maybe you need new cap?
-Does the engine overheat or not get up to operating temp?
-Maybe it is the water pump or rad like suggested?
-Maybe one of the small bypass/vent hoses are clogged up and there is an air pocket in cooling system?

I am not sure about the tank, I believe it should get warm, but depends on if there is any flow through the tank? I don't think there is constant coolant flowing through it so it may be possible that it doesn't get very warm but not sure off top of my head.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search