97 z24 tranny problems - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
97 z24 tranny problems
Thursday, January 09, 2014 10:51 AM
Ok , it's a 97 z24 2.4l automatic. Just last night, I started having problems. For the first few miles, the car wouldn't shift right and I couldn't go over 35 mph. At a stop, the thing shook like a freight train and idled a bit high. My check engine and ets off lights stay on. After a couple miles it just returns to normal though. Did the same this morning. I tried to attribute it to the cold last night, but being that it did it earlier today, the cold plays no part. I've looked under the hood and can see no problems. No leaks to speak of, nothing looks broken. So, I'm perplexed by this. Any ideas?

Re: 97 z24 tranny problems
Thursday, January 09, 2014 5:55 PM
I'd take it to a advance auto or something similar to check the codes from the check engine light. I had a 97 z24 that would act similar to that if I got gas at a Walmart, really weird.
Thursday, January 09, 2014 9:05 PM
Now that I've driven it back home, it could be gas related. Stalled out at my first stop after starting up. Shook like I was in an earthquake and rpm dropped so low it just cut off. Right after that, foot to the floor, all I could reach was 3250 rpm or so. A mile down the road, all was fine.

Problem is, I got gas this past time the same place I always get gas. It's a modern gas station, and I've always gotten great gas there (local newer wilco). Could it maybe be the fuel filter? I know I've had the problem before where, if, right after I crank it up, I accelerated at a decent pace and came to a full stop, it would buck and try to stall.
Friday, January 10, 2014 10:33 PM
I'm going to advance to check out the codes tomorrow. But now that I think about it, I think it's the fuel filter for real. For the reasoning listed above, and for the fact that past 3/4 throttle the engine sort of went down on power since I've had it. Just thought it was a quirk of the car. If not fuel filter, perhaps a pump (but it sounds to be working fine when I turn the car to the on position).
Saturday, January 11, 2014 7:30 PM
Codes were random misfire codes
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search