help! car started for second then died. - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
help! car started for second then died.
Monday, February 03, 2014 10:58 AM
I started the car like normal it started for maybe a second then died. I could hear the fuel pump so I don't believe it is that. It's cranking so obviously not the starter. I have had a small issue for a while where the idle wouldn't return to normal right away after having given gas it would drop down below hesitate the engine from going so low then come back up. Usually when running a/c compressor and such. So I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Other then that I haven't had any issues.
Where is the best place to start troubleshooting. It was running fine yesterday. its a 04 cav 91k miles 5 speed.
Thank you in advance,
Lee

Re: help! car started for second then died.
Monday, February 03, 2014 1:26 PM
I would double just to make sure it is actually getting fuel to the rail and building pressure, if its not there are a few things aside from a fuel pump that could cause that like crank/cam sensor or passlock II system. If you are getting fuel, with the hesitation i would start somewhere that directly controls fuel air ratio and the vehicle couldn't run without (for example, car can run without a upstream o2). Since you don't have a mass air flow sensor I would start with the MAP or TPS
Monday, February 03, 2014 1:47 PM
Is the theft light on?

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, February 03, 2014 2:33 PM
Lee A wrote:I started the car like normal it started for maybe a second then died. I could hear the fuel pump so I don't believe it is that. It's cranking so obviously not the starter. I have had a small issue for a while where the idle wouldn't return to normal right away after having given gas it would drop down below hesitate the engine from going so low then come back up. Usually when running a/c compressor and such. So I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Other then that I haven't had any issues.
Where is the best place to start troubleshooting. It was running fine yesterday. its a 04 cav 91k miles 5 speed.
Thank you in advance,
Lee

Idle air control valve.

Monday, February 03, 2014 2:49 PM
Thank you for the responses. Ok so I was going to clean up my battery wires for starters. Of course the rusted ground bolt on the battery tray broke. Yay more work for me. So to get to the battery cables i pulled the first part of the air intake off thats when i found the brown crud inside. So I went ahead and took the air box off that connects directly to the throttle body. Because of the cold weather I broke the plastic part that the air breather hose connects to coming off the engine. So something else I get to deal with...not going well. I took out the IAT to take all the air stuff off and decided to give it a shot with all of that off. fired right up. So now i'm thinking fuel pressure regulator iac and iat. I know the iat shouldn't cause the starting issue but worth cleaning while im in here. One other thing I forgot to mention in earlier post was sometimes after it was already at hot temp and i would shut it off would take like 2 starts to start it, first attempt it wouldn't go right away then i would turn key back and it would start the second try in about 3 cranks. I have been doing a lot of searching especially now that i found the gunk and read about problems with the pcv system clogging and there being a TSB for the intake manifold clogging as well. I am assuming something is going on with this as well. I use mobil 1 and change pretty much right on time if not early. due to the cold i haven't changed it now which it needs but the oil is black and little low a little bit of stuff on the dip stick but the oil itself doesn't look horrible. Sorry for the long post but just want to be as accurate as possible.
Thanks again,
Lee
Attachments
100MEDIA$IMAG0411.jpg (875k)
100MEDIA$IMAG0410.jpg (1044k)

Monday, February 03, 2014 2:50 PM
ohh ya I added pics of the sludge here is one more.
Attachments
100MEDIA$IMAG0409.jpg (842k)

Monday, February 03, 2014 2:56 PM
Was your car in a flood?

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Monday, February 03, 2014 3:02 PM
I'm the only one that drives it and not since ive owned it bought it with 44k miles now has 91k. some puddles in a hard rain that's about it.
Monday, February 03, 2014 6:11 PM
Two things, the IAT could potentially cause an issue...if either the IAT or coolant temps sensor are malfunctioning, the pcm can default to a 1:1 cranking AFR and won't start.

As far as the PCV, in addition to the manifold, check the pcv orifice in the intake flange of the head between the ports as that's where its known to clog.

Monday, February 03, 2014 8:06 PM
I pull of the intake manifold to look at that correct? I have seen some pics but have never messed with intakes before though I am sure I can figure it out. So just spray it out with some carb cleaner once I get to it? Anything else I can easily do while I am doing all this? I mean i'm thinking clean IAC, MAP, IAT, and if need be for the pcv stuff clean that out. Now I broke the plastic part where the "oil breather" connects to off of the valve cover that runs to the plastic air box that connects to the throttle body. Should I just go to the junkyard and get another one? I think that is all the questions I have for now. Thanks again for the responses,
Lee
Tuesday, February 04, 2014 1:27 PM
working on the car now hoping to get a little more info from someone.
thanks,
Lee

Tuesday, February 04, 2014 3:40 PM
Ok figured out fuel pressure regulator is definitely shot fuel spilled out when i took vacuum hose off today. Ran out of daylight going to change that tomorrow. Cleaned TB, IAT, IAC, and MAP. took valve cover off and everything looked fine don't think i'm going to remove the intake manifold. I'll attach pic of the engine with valve cover off. If anyone has any input would love to hear it.
Thanks,
Lee
Attachments
IMAG0413.jpg (1198k)

Wednesday, February 05, 2014 12:14 PM
Is ANYONE out there? Now the FPR broke off trying to take it out of the fuel rail. From everything i read it was just suppose to pull out any help would be great.
Tuesday, March 11, 2014 6:54 PM
Lee A wrote:Is ANYONE out there? Now the FPR broke off trying to take it out of the fuel rail. From everything i read it was just suppose to pull out any help would be great.
I think there are some torx screws that holds it in but yeah that's common after you change it change your oil asap. It has gas in it.

see ya!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search