new rad - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
new rad
Sunday, February 09, 2014 6:29 AM
So im in need of a new rad seeing as mine is leaking. And because i will be building my engine i will be creating more heat so im looking towards a new performance rad. And i came across this:

http://www.ilovebodykits.com/product/164495/Mishimoto_Aluminum_Radiator_Universal_25_X16_3_X2_55_.html

Has anyone ever tried this yet. it looks like the inlet and outlets are in the wrong place. But other than that, would it fit. I have been looking around to find dimensions for a 96 z24 rad and it seems like it would fit but cant really find anything definite on the stock size. And my car is under 3 feet of snow so i cant even go measure it.

Thoughts?

Re: new rad
Thursday, February 13, 2014 2:40 PM
Ok well anyone know the exact dimensions of the rad from a 96 z24?

Friday, February 14, 2014 7:04 PM
Anyone?

Friday, February 14, 2014 7:24 PM
Here is measurements here, on this site, it wouldn't list any 3rd gen cavaliers but they listed 3rd gen sunfires... jbody rad

I've heard good things about Mishimoto but if it were me, Id wait to take measurements to make sure that it will work, size wise is probably okay but where the inlet and outlet is, it could be in a bad spot. The lower hose may work but I think there is a cross support on top of the rad that would be in the way. You can find any rads with the tanks on the side?

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Saturday, February 15, 2014 2:54 PM
Try Griffin radiators that's the route I'm gonna go when I redo mine and delete my fill tank in the engine bay.

Sunday, February 16, 2014 2:48 PM
Rick wrote:Here is measurements here, on this site, it wouldn't list any 3rd gen cavaliers but they listed 3rd gen sunfires... jbody rad

I've heard good things about Mishimoto but if it were me, Id wait to take measurements to make sure that it will work, size wise is probably okay but where the inlet and outlet is, it could be in a bad spot. The lower hose may work but I think there is a cross support on top of the rad that would be in the way. You can find any rads with the tanks on the side?

this only shows the dimensions of the core. i am looking for the dimensions of the whole rad with oil cooler.

Sunday, February 16, 2014 4:22 PM
Gives you a rough idea, add 2.5-3" to either side or grab a shovel and tape measure I guess?

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**

Sunday, February 16, 2014 9:07 PM
I think I'm gonna grab a shovel tomorrow. Lol

Monday, February 17, 2014 4:52 AM
Stock radiator can handle 250whp all day long.....how much power do you plan on making? In the performance forum on the first page or top of the second is a thread with aftermarket radiators and part numbers. Im posting before I start work otherwise id link you to it.

Monday, February 17, 2014 9:28 AM
Here's the thread JUCNBST is talking about Cooling fans and radiators aftermaret

Monday, February 17, 2014 9:47 AM
Also to add, I ran a big 3" thick Alum rad and dual 12" flex a lite fans on my truck before, the first time I took it out mudding, I turned my manual override switch on and while a constant higher RPM and bogging through mud for probably 20mins or so, I look down at my temp and it was lower than operating temp(70 C/160 F). After that I just let my Thermostat Controller do it's job. but with a bigger alum rad like that and good fans, you can have a overkill cooling system. Even when my rad was half clogged with mud and grass, it never even thought of overheating. Not sure how much power you will be making but even a stock rad and dual fans may be sufficient for you? Just a though. Although that Griffin in that link is less than $200...

Monday, February 17, 2014 10:20 AM
Im looking towards 400+ HP

Thursday, February 20, 2014 2:21 PM
ok so if i get a new dual core aluminium rad i will need to get a new stand alone trans oil cooler correct?
And to run it with a stock engine will i need to change my thermostat so it will open at a different temp due to the extra cooling the new rad will do?

the reason i am asking is because i need a new rad as my current oem one is leaking. I am building a second 2.4 to go in to the car when it is all done. So instead of buying an oem rad then buying a dual core rad when the new engine goes in. I am just going to put the new rad in now so i dont have to buy 2. lol

Thursday, February 20, 2014 2:34 PM
Trans cooler? Don't you have a manual? If you have an auto, I'd get a separate cooler.
Should also just run the stock thermostat, 180* I believe. No reason to change it. With the new rad, when the thermostat opens, the coolant coming in the engine will be "cooler" than it was with old rad. Less chance of overheating. With old rad, the coolant coming in might still be pretty warm(didn't cool down as much) But you still want the engine to be at operating temp.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 3:22 PM
Yea lol I am manual my bad. Been a long day. Ok thx.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search