2.2 ecotec won't start. - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 ecotec won't start.
Wednesday, February 26, 2014 3:56 PM
Hi guys I'm brand new hear and trying to get a buddy's '05 cobalt 2.2 running again and could really use all the help I can get.

So here's what happend, he was driving home from work when he got cut off and ran into a wall, the impact wasn't bad and didn't tear car up too bad but busted radiator and he wasn't mechanically inclind enough to realize it. So he kept driving and it overheated (temps reached 300) as he was pulling into the gas station to cool down it just stalled out. He let it cool down and it never started back up..

I have checked the following,

-I tested fuel by pulling rail and having him turn engine over, all 4 injectors fire flawlessly but I can't hear pump kick on or prime?

- tested spark by grounding plug to body and turning over, it's getting a pretty blue spark on all 4 boots but will not fire on starter fluid

- I pulled valve cover to make sure the head gasket wasn't blown and u can tell car was overheated but no signs of water in the oil under cover or on dipstick.

I have replaced the crank sensor and it still won't start, it turns over just fine and gets alittle putt here and there but won't fire. I'm completely lost now and don't know what else it could be but really wanna get it done in time for his birthday is there anything y'all know of that it could be?? All help is appreciated greatly!!!!

Re: 2.2 ecotec won't start.
Wednesday, February 26, 2014 5:20 PM
Compression check would be the next thing to do.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 5:40 PM
I rented a tester from autozone and its reading 0. Is my gauge just broke or is it really 0? There's no water in oil pan nor oil in water I just drained it and I can't see any oil nor water in the cylinders. It's popping alittle so I know there's gotta be some compression.
Wednesday, February 26, 2014 7:40 PM
Either the valves bent, head cracked, or you are not getting enough of a seal on your tester. Also being a rental tester, who knows if it's any good. For what one costs it's worth it to have one. Is that zero reading across all 4 cylinders? If his timing components were worn, it's plausible that an impact could have jumped timing, though I would expect some reading on a compression test.

You didn't hear the fuel pump come on but you said all 4 injectors tested good when you cranked. So you were getting fuel from the injectors just to be clear?

For what it takes to rule it out, you could bring your exhaust timing mark up to ~10:00 (it's labeled on the cam gear) which should bring your intake timing mark to ~2:00 (again, labeled) and count the links between the marks. If I remember correctly there should be 16 links mark to mark.

Thursday, February 27, 2014 1:09 PM
Yes all 4 injectors are pulsing flawlessly. And I just tested one cylinder but I had him turn motor over while holding pressure release button on the gauge and air didn't shoot out at all so that makes me think its a faulty gauge because it has compression at exhaust tip if I put my hand to it. It won't fire on starter fluid either
Thursday, February 27, 2014 1:59 PM
Test all four. Look into leak down tests as well. All you gotta do is Google it. Its a way to see where the air is going if you fail a compression test.

Thursday, February 27, 2014 2:02 PM
I would keep trying with the compression tester, if it still is reading zero maybe try it on a different car if one is there and see if it says anything to make sure tester is working. You may still get air coming out of the exhaust but the engine may not be making compression. It's like a turbo with a hole in the charge pipe, it will still be blowing air, just not making boost.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search