Repairing a front quarter panel? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Repairing a front quarter panel?
Friday, February 28, 2014 8:44 AM
Well long story short driving home on the freeway the other day I hit a sheet of black ice that had snow covering it on a bend to exit and the back end kicked out on me. I fought it to keep from hitting the concrete wall on the one side but couldn't correct it completely and went up on the grass embankment and smacked a sign with the passenger side front quarter panel and wheel. Thankfully no one was behind me or in front of me and it doesn't seem like anything other than the wheel and front quarter panel are damaged

The wheel and tire were shredded so I'll be picking up a new wheel today or tomorrow.

The passenger side front quarter panel has some good dents in it and had some spots of paint taken off So once it warms up I'll be pounding the dents out and doing a wet sanding and fixing the paint on the panel.

Anything I should look for to check for damage? It drove home fine and even with the donut it didn't pull weird or anything and it handles fine still. I have looked a little bit but it's been -10 the last 2 days and so I haven't gotten it up on a jack or anything yet. Also any tips for getting the dents out? My plan is to pull the panel off and take a ball peen hammer and beat the dents out. Finally is just wet sanding and then hitting the panel with a coat or two of the same paint color and finishing with a fresh clear coat good enough or is it going to need more work than that?

I'll try to get some pics up later to show you the extent of the damage it's not too bad considering the worst case scenario but it's still se decent sized dents.

Did I mention I'm entirely done with winter.

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE Sedan 2.2l Ecotec 4 Speed Auto.

Re: Repairing a front quarter panel?
Friday, February 28, 2014 9:23 AM
Definitely put some pics up. You're going to have to use some filler to fill in the low spots since hammering it won't get it back to perfect. Then prime/paint after you've got it nice and smooth.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, February 28, 2014 9:28 AM
I wouldn't even bother fixing that panel and grab a *new* one from the junkyard.

Friday, February 28, 2014 9:29 AM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:I wouldn't even bother fixing that panel and grab a *new* one from the junkyard.

Very good point.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, February 28, 2014 11:03 AM
I would get a new panel but all the junkyards near here don't have one without either rust or dents I might look around Craigslist later but there aren't many sunfire part outs as of Wednesday it was mostly cavaliers so they won't work. When I go to get my wheel I'll ask if they have one but it looks like I'm stuck fixing the one I have.

Friday, February 28, 2014 3:02 PM
Here are the pics
Attachments
image.jpg (1247k)

Friday, February 28, 2014 3:03 PM
Here is the other one sorry I couldn't put both in one post
Attachments
image.jpg (1507k)

Saturday, March 01, 2014 1:10 PM
So it was warmer today (though I use that term relatively since anything over 30 is warm here.) so I got to look over the damage a little better and i found the the plastic in the wheel well is broken up. The area near where the fender was dented has the edge chipped away for most of the edge. One of the bolt points is also broken off of the rest of the piece and a few other spots have some big cracks.

Does anyone know what the name for that part is and how many pieces it is? I was looking on car-part.com but I'm not sure what the name is. Also is that a piece that pretty much any sunfire or cavalier shares or is it a sunfire specific part?

Saturday, March 01, 2014 1:18 PM
Get a sunfire fender and inner plastic parts.
Saturday, March 01, 2014 3:11 PM
I'm am going to repair the fender like I said in my other post all the other fenders here are rusted or already dented so since mine doesn't have rust and I'm not going to pay for a fender that's already dented or worse than mine. One of my friends works in the gm body shop so he'll help me out with it.

If anybody knows what the plastic in the wheel well is called that would really help. Thanks

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search