mongerl 00/04 - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
mongerl 00/04
Wednesday, March 05, 2014 12:01 PM
Greetings!

BIL just blew up his automatic ecotec 2004 coupe. Timing chain. As it has a solid body and just passed state inspection I picked up real cheap a rotted out

2000 sedan, 2200/3T40.

I plan to drop the subframes and swap pretty much everything between the front wheels over from the 2000 to the 04. Both have 175k.

Random questions:

When they put these things together at the factory, was the radiator in the bundle of powertrain & subframe that got lifted in? I'd like to leave it connected if convenient... with the ATF cooler lines etc.

Similarly, the 2000 has the "bumper pocket" computer while the 04 is on a strut tower. Is there a convenient bulk head connector that lets a person leave the wiring bundle on the engine? Does the computer prefer to be hung with the engine or installed seperately? I haven't been underneath yet to poke around.

Will the 4 speed shifter work with the 3t40, minus the ability to go into low (6 clicks from park)? In other words, is the cable spacing "per click" accurate, so I won't cook anything by having the shifter "click in" in a position between two detents on the tranny side?

I understand from an instrument cluster etc POV I'm lucky to have a compatible 2000 vs a 99 or older.

Re: mongerl 00/04
Wednesday, March 05, 2014 12:25 PM
I'll add that both cars have AC, though I don't know if it ever worked. The 04 has cruise control which I think will not, not without reflashing the computer etc. Both have ABS, which would be nice to work. Car will have to undergo an OBDII emissions inspection in 11 months, but the donor car has no codes or issues. Plan to keep the OHV downpipe and cat then mate it to the stock exhaust at the flange there. I can splice fuel line etc.
Wednesday, March 05, 2014 12:36 PM
The computer shouldn't matter where it is a lot of people on here even put the computer under the windshield wiper area. The 4 speed would depend on if the engines match and it would go into low because if you swap it you would have to swap the shifter assembly too. Unless you want to put just the shifter assembly in with an existing 3 speed which I don't think would work I'm pretty sure that has to match.

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE Sedan 2.2l Ecotec 4 Speed Auto.
Wednesday, March 05, 2014 1:00 PM
10-4 on the shifter. Shouldn't be too much of a deal, I just want to do this as lazy as possible.
Sunday, March 09, 2014 7:06 PM
Both powertrains are now out. To answer my own musing re shifters, and help others, have noticed that the 3-speed shifter actually has an extra detent below (1). It's not labelled. I suspect the same parts was used on 3 and 4 speed trannies just with different labelling-- the trans end sure looks the same.

Time will tell for sure.
Monday, March 10, 2014 4:44 AM
el jefino wrote:Both powertrains are now out. To answer my own musing re shifters, and help others, have noticed that the 3-speed shifter actually has an extra detent below (1). It's not labelled. I suspect the same parts was used on 3 and 4 speed trannies just with different labelling-- the trans end sure looks the same.

Time will tell for sure.

Knowing GM and this platform, I'm betting you're right.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search