03+ How do I remove the fuel tank heatshield? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
03+ How do I remove the fuel tank heatshield?
Wednesday, April 23, 2008 8:16 PM
I found the slide it out the passenger side posts but on the 03's the heat shield under the tank is primarily on the passenger side so thats a no go.

So I go under the car, unclipped the 2 lines, unbolt the rear 2 exhaust hangers and unbolt both straps, and I'm dumbfounded. It looks like the heat shield is holding the tank up. How do I remove it? The bolts holding it up look like they take a tool that looks a lot like a valve stem remover only much smaller.

Also I'd prefer not to destroy it in the process. Stainless steel exhaust and close proximity to plastic gas tank, don't exactly ring "safe" in my mind.

-Chris

Re: 03+ How do I remove the fuel tank heatshield?
Wednesday, April 23, 2008 8:38 PM
just curious why you need to remove it? something wrong with your fuel pump or something?

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 9:07 PM
04 Cavalier fuel tank R&I per Alldata wrote:
REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Relieve the fuel system pressure. Refer to Fuel Pressure Relief Procedure.
2. Drain the fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Tank Draining Procedure.
3. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
4. Disconnect the quick-connect fitting at the fuel filter.
5. Disconnect the fuel return pipe quick connect fitting.
6. Remove the rubber exhaust hangers. Allow the exhaust system to rest on the rear axle.
7. Remove the exhaust heat shield.
8. Loosen the fuel filler hose clamp at the fuel tank.
9. Disconnect the fuel filler hose from the fuel tank.
10. Disconnect the evaporative emission (EVAP) vapor pipe from the EVAP canister.
11. Disconnect the electrical harness from the multi-way rear body connector and fuel strap.
12. With the aid of an assistant, support the fuel tank (1).
13. Disconnect the fuel tank retaining straps.
14. Lower the fuel tank.
15. Remove the fuel sender assembly from the tank.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install the fuel sender assembly to the fuel tank.
2. With the aid of an assistant, raise the fuel tank (1) to the vehicle.
3. Install the fuel tank retaining straps. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions. Tighten Tighten the strap bolts to 35 N.m (26 lb ft).
4. Connect the wiring harness into the multi-way rear body connector.
5. Connect the EVAP vapor pipe to the EVAP canister.
6. Connect the fuel filler hose to the fuel tank. Tighten Tighten the fuel filler hose clamp to 3 N.m (27 lb in).
7. Install the rubber exhaust hangers.
8. Install the exhaust heat shield. Tighten

- Tighten the exhaust shield bolt to 2 N.m (18 lb in).
- Tighten the exhaust shield nuts to 1 N.m (9 lb in).

1. Connect the fuel return pipe and fuel filter quick-connect fittings.
2. Lower the vehicle.
3. Refill the fuel tank.
4. Install the fuel filler cap.
5. Connect the negative battery cable.
6. Inspect for fuel leaks using the following procedure:

6.1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF for 2 seconds.
6.2. Turn OFF the ignition for 10 seconds.
6.3. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
6.4. Inspect for fuel leaks.

couldn't find anything specific to the heat shield, they make it sound like it just unbolts

Thursday, April 24, 2008 4:56 AM
Vincent Morris wrote:just curious why you need to remove it? something wrong with your fuel pump or something?

Fuel Sending unit.

Darkstars: I have the same info, they make it sound like it just unbolts, but it was these weird fasteners.

-Chris

Thursday, April 24, 2008 5:10 AM
i just replaced my fuel pump last week on an 01. i had the same question about the shield. if you take it off your gonna have to find some way to hang it back up with screws. I managed to slide my tank out w/o removing the shield or dropping the exhaust (which would have involved cutting in my situation) do you have a shield on the drivers side? can you slide it out that way?
Thursday, April 24, 2008 1:20 PM
I'm just going to assume these damn things are riveted in and go get my drill.

There doesn't seem to be room for sliding, I'll check to make sure everythings disconected and try sliding it. Otherwise its the drill and some screws afterwards.

-Chris

Thursday, April 24, 2008 1:44 PM
they are definately rivets. it wasnt easy to slide it out. mine got hung up on the twist beam also, so i had to put the jack stands on something solid and use the jack to maneuver the twist beam. but i would still try before drilling all those rivets
Thursday, April 24, 2008 3:16 PM
yeah when we did my exhaust i know for a fact its riveted on, id say drill them then screw it back on or rivet it back on, you def need it.

Wednesday, March 05, 2014 12:44 PM
the fuel pump is dead, have preformed all the pressure and electric tests. All electrical connections hoses holding straps and muffler hangers have been removed. The tank does not move, there is 1/8 " clearance between the shield and tank. The shield is held in place by many rivet type fasteners with an opening on the passenger side. how do I proceed .
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search