Belt tensioner is too close for a rachet or breaker bar. 98 2.2L - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Belt tensioner is too close for a rachet or breaker bar. 98 2.2L
Monday, January 06, 2014 6:28 PM
I went to swap my serpentine belt and the tensioner is so close to the body of the car that no ratchet or little 3/8 breaker bar that I own will fit in the space. After some googling I haven't found a reason for this. I watched a youtube video from 1A Auto and he must have a different style tensioner than I do, he uses a 15mm wrench. I'd like to think I'm not doing something correctly but poor engineering seems more likely.

Re: Belt tensioner is too close for a rachet or breaker bar. 98 2.2L
Monday, January 06, 2014 10:25 PM
http://t.harborfreight.com/serpentine-belt-tool-kit-66344.html?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Need one of these. Almost all parts stores carry them.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Tuesday, January 07, 2014 4:56 AM
I have one of those tools but I always found it easier to just push down on the tensioner with a big pry bar. Not on the plastic pulley obviously..

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, January 07, 2014 5:15 AM
Quote:

I have one of those tools but I always found it easier to just push down on the tensioner with a big pry bar. Not on the plastic pulley obviously..

Yup

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Sunday, January 12, 2014 10:14 PM
I replaced the serpentine belt on my sister's 98 without knowing the tensioner is supposed to be replaced with it. About a month later the tensioner blew up and cut the brand new belt. I had to take apart the engine mount and lower the engine to replace the tensioner. Rediculous, all I needed was another quarter inch to get the bolt out.
Monday, January 13, 2014 2:48 AM
I had to replace mine before too. Los of cussing was involved. Did the same thing; up on the lift, removed the motor mounts and sagged it down as far as it could go. Barely had enough room even then to get it out.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, March 16, 2014 10:56 AM
I had to go thru the wheelwell, pull off the plastic inner liner to get the tensioner to move. Prob easier with 2 people, extra hands to hold the belt.
Sunday, March 16, 2014 11:46 AM
Just cut the socket down. Then u always have the tool.
Sunday, March 16, 2014 12:52 PM
Quote:

Matt Linke wrote:
Quote:

Yup

Ditto

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 11:41 AM
JUCNBST wrote:
Quote:

Matt Linke wrote:
Quote:

Yup

Ditto

Agree 100% on LN2s, LD9s, and Ecos.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search