Help! New motor in 03 cavy won't crank - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Help! New motor in 03 cavy won't crank
Saturday, November 23, 2013 3:26 PM
I recently put a new 2.2 in my 03 cavy. The car is a 5 speed but the motor is out of a automatic Buick alero. I just got done hooking everything back up and turned the key and I have all electric power but when I turn the key all the way over, everything shuts off. It also makes a weird noise like a solenoid switching or something. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Re: Help! New motor in 03 cavy won't crank
Saturday, November 23, 2013 5:03 PM
Probably missed a ground. I had that same issue. Then I had to do a passlock relearn. Either that or your starter is bad. The peg broke off my starter and wouldn't make contact, It was almost unnoticeable.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Sunday, November 24, 2013 5:01 PM
Also what is this and where does it go? It's my last wire to hook up and I'm at a loss
Attachments
image.jpg (1599k)

Sunday, November 24, 2013 5:13 PM
That I belive is the crank positioning plug above the starter. It's either for that or the knock sensor which is also right above it. I am 99% sure it's the cps and your car would just crank without it and not try to start.

Sunday, November 24, 2013 5:54 PM
It was the crank sensor, I took my starter off today and was looking right at that plug too lol
Sunday, November 24, 2013 8:17 PM
Did it start?

Monday, November 25, 2013 4:11 AM
That is indeed the crank position sensor, and if it is not plugged in, car won't start.

Monday, November 25, 2013 7:46 AM
The same thing keeps happening, I took the starter off and took it apart and cleaned it and then checked it and it works fine. I put it back on and I turned the key on and I have lights and radio but when I try to start it, everything shuts off. Then I turn it back to just the on position and all the lights come back. It won't turn over but I hear the fuel pump coming on.
Thursday, December 05, 2013 1:22 PM
It still won't crank?
Sunday, March 16, 2014 10:51 AM
i am having the same issue. So do you think it's the passlock? That would be the 3 ignition cycles, all except start, about 1/2 hr each till the chimes quit?
Sunday, March 16, 2014 11:13 AM
Passlock repeat is 10mins for each cycle. 30mins to complete the relearn.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 10:44 AM
It's normal for everything to shut off when the key is in the 'crank' position, and come back on in the 'run' position. The problem is your car is not starting... so either your starter connections are bad, or the starter's dead.
Thursday, March 20, 2014 12:13 PM
Just curious, when doing the motor swap, what did you do with the battery?

Later,
Jack
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search