Electrical Gremlin? input experience and wisdom welcome - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Electrical Gremlin? input experience and wisdom welcome
Saturday, March 22, 2014 7:14 PM
I parked it in the street, went out later to move it to the driveway and it didn't respond to the key.

Headlights still work via column controls, as well as the hazard lights and cluster back lights, bright as normal, multiple trials.
Interior lights come on with the door and manual switch.

Door-open alarm comes on as normal (key in ignition and door open).

When putting the key in the ignition I do NOT get:
Cluster activity (no warning lights or gauge movement).
Fuel pump
Starter response (in start position)

Tried jumping, nothing.
Checked the fuses, all look fine and cleared with meter. (engine bay and dash boxes)

Checked voltage at the plugs going to the ignition switch.

Had 12.3V at the cig lighter using the shift mount for ground, and the following readings on the black plug (same ground):

___( 0 V )___( 12.29 V )___( 12.29V )

___( 11.60 V )___( - )___( 0 V )

Voltages were the same regardless of key position, didn't expect a change just checked to be thorough. Checked the white plug also, no voltages, regardless of key position as well.

I suspect the park/neutral switch is causing these issues, hoping/guessing really.

If anyone has any advice or experience with this issue, or any ideas that may lead to a faster resolution I would really appreciate it. Also a correction or confirmation as to what I should be seeing on the meter at these plugs would be helpful.

Thank you

Re: Electrical Gremlin? input experience and wisdom welcome
Saturday, March 22, 2014 10:04 PM
Bypass the neutral safety switch, activate the starter manually, or replace the ignition switch. I would do the 1st two.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Re: Electrical Gremlin? input experience and wisdom welcome
Sunday, March 23, 2014 10:10 AM
I apologize if this is a simple question. Which pins should i be using? I realize the yellow an purple when firing the starter but which two to indicate to the pcm that the transmission is in park?

Thanks again
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search