NEED HELP CAR WONT STAY RUNNING - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
NEED HELP CAR WONT STAY RUNNING
Tuesday, March 25, 2014 7:57 PM
i have a 02 cavalir with a swapped engine (non ecotec same engine jus less clicks) and the gas pedal is very stiff, sometimes if i let it sit and run it will go back to normal and be peppy, other times it wont, also i can only drive t for about 10 mins and it has NO POWER at all and then when i go to give it a litle gas it will slowly bog out and die out on me and will start but just stall in seconds SOMETIMES it will stay idleing but once gas is pressed it dies, i replaced the fuel filter, new air filter, cut the cat off (that helped it a bit), and clean the thrlttle body to new, i dont know what it could be and i cant drive it please help! also i installed hids and a aftermarket stero would this cause anything like this? i had this on my other cars and it didnt bother it, ALSO this wire i found sticking out by the alt but its connected to the main one where all the wires go, there will be a pic on this thread of it if anyone can idenify it and tell me where to plug it in to and if it will help, sorry im new to this and need it running please help!

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall,,,,,Torque is how far you take the wall with you

Re: NEED HELP CAR WONT STAY RUNNING
Tuesday, March 25, 2014 7:59 PM
i also replaced the coil pack too if that helps!

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall,,,,,Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Tuesday, March 25, 2014 8:08 PM
ALSO the check engine, service light, and the anti left light is on, it has an aftermarket starter but i unplugged it bc it doesnt work for me could that be causeing it? laso i scannedFOR CODES AND ONLY ONES ARE p0171 SYSTEM TOO LEAN, and you can smell gas badly but it seems like its running out of gas when it idles out

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 6:16 AM
Have you checked the fuel system? The lines, injectors, fuel pump, and connections?

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE Sedan 2.2l Ecotec 4 Speed Auto.
Wednesday, March 26, 2014 6:49 AM
backpacker3 wrote:Have you checked the fuel system? The lines, injectors, fuel pump, and connections?

Agreed. Sounds like a bad pump, filter, or both.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, March 26, 2014 9:51 AM
I don't have a fuel pressure tester but I replaced the filter and my buddy has a good fuel pump I'm Gunnar try that, it smells like gas when you start it thought and it says its too lean could it still be too lean of air if it smells like gas?

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 10:00 AM
ryley hawco wrote:I don't have a fuel pressure tester but I replaced the filter and my buddy has a good fuel pump I'm Gunnar try that, it smells like gas when you start it thought and it says its too lean could it still be too lean of air if it smells like gas?

No I believe if the air fuel ratio is messed up and there isn't enough air that would mean the engine is running too rich. But don't quote me on that. Besides that if the engine isn't getting enough air there would have to be some serious issues since it's just a stock engine.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 10:01 AM
And in that picture what is that supposed to plug into is that what's affecting it?!? Thanks for your help guys o don't have the right tools so I've been throwing parts on it hoping its Gunnar work next one is the fuel pump!

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 10:19 AM
And in that picture what is that supposed to plug into is that what's affecting it?!? Thanks for your help guys o don't have the right tools so I've been throwing parts on it hoping its Gunnar work next one is the fuel pump!

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 10:22 AM
Well the code reads system too lean which could be anything but the fuel pump is sounding different so I'll try that and btw at the top in the pic does anyone know what that's for?

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 11:04 AM
Could be the coolant temp sensor? Does the temp gauge work on the dash? It still sounds to me like a bad fuel pump.

"In Oldskool we trust"

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 2:44 PM
yes everything on the cluster works and it doesnt overheat or anything

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 5:38 PM
UHF the theft light is solid could that be it? But it lets me run for a little while then bogs out like it needs gas

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 6:28 PM
What theft system do you have? I don't know too much about them but I think you wouldn't be able to start the car at all if that was the problem. Based on what you've said so far it really sounds like there is an issue with the fuel system. Just as a question though what exactly happens when the car "bogs down" like what do you mean by saying it bogs down.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 8:09 PM
Well the pedal is hard it sometimes gets soft and sensitive the odd time but i will be driving and just randomly the roms will start lowering and then if i let of the gas they will jump up for a second but then if i give it any gas it bogs down untill it stalls i can keep it going doin 10kmh if i sit the and start tapping the pedal but then eventually it dies all together, then when i start it it will either start right up and idle but once any gas is pushed or even put in drive it might try and pull it but when i put the pedal down it dies then other times it will turn over then die right after

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 11:07 PM
Fuel pump!!!! Granted my car might be older than you are but,signs a fuel pump are weak are in your post already.I just replaced mine and the strainer was all blocked up with trash and the ethanol in gas today does no justice even to the newer cars imo.I would update your fuel pump then reaccess things.This to me is not throwing money at a problem as your car is uhh 12 years old and the pumps today just do not last like they use to(gm).

Thursday, March 27, 2014 8:02 AM
Alright i will find a fuel pump and get it put in and let it run for a little and ill see what happens thanks!

Thursday, March 27, 2014 8:59 AM
The fuel pump can be tested! get the fuel pressure tester!

Thursday, March 27, 2014 9:15 AM
I don't have the money for one or else i would! And it idles fine its just when you start to drive it it will kick out and you wnt get any fuel to it, but i kniw a guy that rolled his car so I'm gunna take the fuel pump off that and see if that's the problem!

Friday, March 28, 2014 11:53 AM
Okay so I tap on the gas tank and it kicks in and pedal gets SOOO much softer so I'm guesongs its the fuel pump thank you everyone for their support!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search