strange intermittent idle issue and stalling - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
strange intermittent idle issue and stalling
Monday, March 03, 2014 5:08 PM
So, havnt been daily driving the cav latly. Filled it up thursday and parked it. Ran great. Go out saturday morning and start it. From inside i could hear it dropping idle down randomly and acting like it was gonna die. When i drive it, its fine. WOT is fine to. Doesnt seem to be at a loss for power or nothing. But if i stop at a light and sit for a min itll do it randomly and act like its missing until i rev it up then its fine. No lights or codes and there is no pattern to it. Anybody experience anything like this before and what was it? Havnt had alot of time to mess with it but almost acts like its riching out or cats clogged. Havnt seen any black smoke tho :/

I Love My J ♡

Re: strange intermittent idle issue and stalling
Monday, March 03, 2014 5:54 PM
Kinda sounds like the problem I was having. Mine was a intermittent break in the 5v signal wire from my map sensor to the CPU. Check that maybe.

Just a thought.

Monday, March 03, 2014 6:08 PM
Maybe IAC is dirty? I know my TB and intake get pretty gross with oil build up and that from the oil separator. TB could probably use a cleaning too? If runs good while driving/or WOT I doubt its ignition but it may be worth having a look at your spark plugs too? See what they look like and double check the gap? Cat could be clogged to but figure it would throw a code?

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Monday, March 03, 2014 6:23 PM
I have had issues with the vac line for my map twice since ive had the car so ill take a peak at that. And check my wiring as well and voltage. And my plugs are brand new rapid fires not even 2000miles on new engine i just built only thing i didnt replace was timing chain because im working on a timing belt set up. These damn things do build oil up quick so ill take a peak at that as well. Thanks guys fir the help didnt expect such fast replys

I Love My J ♡
Wednesday, March 05, 2014 7:56 PM
What motor? Miles? Did you find the problem? Having similar issues with my 2.4.....hoping its not the timing chain
Thursday, March 06, 2014 5:11 AM
Mines a 2001 z24 2.4 with 2.3 oil pump swap and some other goodies with maybe 2000miles on engine and i did not replace my chain due to working on a timing belt set up.

I Love My J ♡
Tuesday, March 11, 2014 6:07 PM
Just wanted to post. Issue is fixed put prothane mounts in tonight and checked my oil. Ouart low, so i topped it off and issue is gone. So i have no idea what was going on but seems to be fine now. Wtf lol

I Love My J ♡
Saturday, March 15, 2014 8:19 AM
well never mind lol issue is not fixed car started doing it again and I have no idea why. just got done running diag. on it with the scanner and everything looked fine other than some abs issues so no clue at this time whats going on :/

I Love My J ♡
Saturday, March 15, 2014 7:52 PM
If you have the ability watch the voltage on your tps sensor. When it goes to stall or lose rpm your voltage will drop on your tps. Just a suggestion.
Friday, March 28, 2014 5:01 PM
Ended up being due to a clogged cat. Put whole new 3inch exhaust on today and fixed issue. No more stalling thank god :-)

I Love My J ♡
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search