Trac Off and Check engine light turned on - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Trac Off and Check engine light turned on
Tuesday, September 04, 2012 12:40 PM
So, the TRAC OFF light tends to come on and off every once in a while. Sometimes it stays on for a day and then goes away. So the other day I was driving down the freeway and I notice the TRAC OFF light coms on. Not really sure what that means. And then shortly after the Check Engine light came on. I don't notice any abnormal sounds or performance. Any thoughts?

03 Cavalier LS Sport

"There were some Luddites with some kind of PC-based, primitive [operating system], I think it's called Windows, who couldn't figure out how I got a TV on the plane." Trent Reznor referring to peoples reaction to his PowerBook G4 Titanium

Re: Trac Off and Check engine light turned on
Tuesday, September 04, 2012 1:23 PM
check the intake air temp sensor.

Does the car shift firmer when it is acting up?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, September 04, 2012 2:14 PM
I'd have no clue where or how to check that. Haven't noticed anything different with the shifting. I think I might take it into some place that does those free check engine light diagnostics.

"There were some Luddites with some kind of PC-based, primitive [operating system], I think it's called Windows, who couldn't figure out how I got a TV on the plane." Trent Reznor referring to peoples reaction to his PowerBook G4 Titanium
Wednesday, September 05, 2012 5:07 PM
No misfire? No hard shifting? Well that is good. Only thing now is, what is causing it? I honestly am stumped on this one. Could be something real simple though. What kind of fuel are you putting in the car? If you get a code when you run the OBD Code through the reader and you get "Bank 1, Sensor 2: Lean" your fuel is horrible quality and/or your o2 sensor is bad. I just don't get why the Trac Off light would come on/ That is what gets me. If it was misfiring, I would say a bad ICM or plug. If it was shifting hard, I would say a bad wishbone (Stabilizer Bar). Causes hard shifting, CEL and Trac Off light to come on because it sets the ECU into "Safe Mode" and it will turn off un-necessary featuers such as TCS, etc to protect itself. That happened to me back when I had my 01 Ecotec Cavi. It appears that something has sent your ECU into "Safe Mode". I would get it checked out soon. Probably something simple though. Good luck!
Wednesday, September 05, 2012 5:46 PM
The last time I had those to lights come on was in my black '03 LS, normally the TRAC OFF light comes on is when the PCM is asking/telling the BCM to shut off TC due to lack of power. When it happened for me, it was around 45 to 50 mph in 4th at around 1500 to 2500 rpm. The cause, a failing coil. I had it checked out since I couldn't find out in class and ended up replacing the coil pack, 4 plugs, 4 plug boots, and ICM, which was a grand total of about $800. Hopefully your issue won't be as expensive.

"United by Individuality"
"If life is a joke, why aren't we laughing?"
"Normality depends on one's perception of reality."
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3820803
Wednesday, September 05, 2012 6:17 PM
I am having a similar problem during driving. If I give it some force the trans hangs then the "TRAC OFF" light kicks on. After this happens a few times during a drive the CEL kicks on and the TRAC light is on. After I let off the TRAC light goes away but the CEL stays on. Not sure how much this applies to your situation if it's similar.
Tuesday, January 14, 2014 8:20 AM
OK I am having the same issue here with me 2000 2.4. My trac off light comes on and then from 1-3 it shifts really really hard like I am jolted in my seat. Its rather annoying. The one time my check engine light came on as well but my Dad asked a friend and apparently until the lights both stay on they can't tell by running the diac on it. I am just frustrated I just want to know whats wrong with my car because it is for sale for one and I don't want to have to dump a bunch of money into it when I don't have to.
Tuesday, January 14, 2014 10:40 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:check the intake air temp sensor.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Tuesday, January 14, 2014 10:43 AM
I'm having a very similar issue with my 2005 Sunfire (2.2 Ecotech). It started last summer when the "Trac Off", "ABS", and "Service" lights all came on at once. I took it in and got it checked out. It was a faulty speed sensor and bad wheel bearing/hub assembly. I had the faulty sensor and the wheel bearing/hub assemblies on both wheels replaced. For good measure, also put on new rotors and pads. The dashboard lights stayed on and my mechanic told me that they would go out eventually. Well, 4 months later the lights are still on. I had the mechanic take a look at it again today and everything is fine and he cannot reset the computer. In summary, the problem(s) were repaired, but the warning lights are still on and the mechanic cannot reset the computer. I would not have a problem since everything is fine, but I am due for an emissions test in 2 months and they fail you for any light that is on (gotta love the People's Republic of Maryland). Any help would be most welcome. Thanks!
Tuesday, April 08, 2014 11:55 AM
bump
Tuesday, April 08, 2014 12:44 PM
Check the ground to the ABS module.....also....take it to a different mechanic...

PRND321 Till I DIE

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search