CUT CAT OFF NEED TO TRICK ECU - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
CUT CAT OFF NEED TO TRICK ECU
Friday, March 28, 2014 11:42 PM
So my cat was clogged up and was making my car run horribly so for now I just welded a piece of pipe where it was and it seems to sound and drive better but my gas goes down faster than I can keep putting it in I'm getting horrible mileage because THE REAR O2 SENSOR IS TELLING THE CAR IT NEEDS MORE GAS but I unplugged the o2 sensor and its still horrible on gas, does anyone know how to bypass it to make the ecu think there is a working 02 sensor there so it gets out of whatever loop its in ?

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall,,,,,Torque is how far you take the wall with you

Re: CUT CAT OFF NEED TO TRICK ECU
Saturday, March 29, 2014 9:26 AM
The rear O2 sensor is just a monitor for your cat efficiency. By removing the cat you have altered the airflow that the ECU is expecting causing it to run rich. Fix, quit being a cheep a$$ and weld a new cat where it belongs.

Saturday, March 29, 2014 9:38 AM
I'm going to when I get money but for now I was hoping for something to just get it by so it doesn't run rich

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall,,,,,Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Saturday, March 29, 2014 9:40 AM
get two 17mm spark plug non fouler at O'Reily's drill out the bottom on both, and screw them both onto the O2 sensor,
then screw the assembly into the stock location. Problem solved.
Saturday, March 29, 2014 5:02 PM
Drill out the 2nd spark plug fouler with 1/2 inch bit. Worked for me for 1.5 years before I was tuned via hpt. So. Exhaust-> antifouler not drilled out-> drilled out antifouler -> o2 sensor.

Saturday, March 29, 2014 11:46 PM
How did you get your car jacked up high enough to work on the cat? I had all 4 wheels on like 6 inch ramps and i could hardly look under the car.
Sunday, March 30, 2014 2:42 PM
I only jacked up one side with just the reg jacks and I could get under, I find its easier then I just took a powersaw and cut it off then welded a straight pipe there, sounds a whole lot better and runs better too

Monday, April 07, 2014 10:28 PM
Ok thanks. I'd like to cut mine off too and just use clamps to secure a straight pipe in its place. The only problem is today I looked and my 97 has the sensor by the cat. I thought people said that sensor only shows the light when the cat is bad. Now some say it changes the fuel mixtures. I mean has anyone with the 97 z24 (ram air intake) tried just cutting the sensor and cat off and added straight pipe? Is it possible it will run right or even decent to where I see the gain from free flow? or mostly likely too rich/fuel mixture goes squirrely? Thats the only way I want to do it so I dont have to play with the sensor or else ill just leave it I guess. if anyone has ever tried this setup and could share their results that might help.. thanks
Wednesday, April 09, 2014 5:29 PM
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search