theft system comes on while driving, cluster freaks out and all needles go all the way down. - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
theft system comes on while driving, cluster freaks out and all needles go all the way down.
Monday, April 14, 2014 8:36 PM
Hello, I'm in some need of help. Recently, my theft system light came on while driving. The car didn't die, nor did it stop it from starting. It made my cluster go crazy, nearly all of my lights were turning on then they'd turn off and all turn back on one by one. All my needles would go to the lowest position, and every once in a while my speedo and tach would work the freeze and slam down again. After driving for a few minutes of this, "error" appeared in the miles/trip window. I searched on here and on Google and some Malibu people said that it was the ignition switch going out. But I'm hoping to find someone familiar with this problem for our car. Side note, cluster was out of a junkyard car because my original stopped working. Please help me.
Thanks.

Re: theft system comes on while driving, cluster freaks out and all needles go all the way down.
Tuesday, April 15, 2014 3:28 AM
Dante Bianchini wrote:Hello, I'm in some need of help. Recently, my theft system light came on while driving. The car didn't die, nor did it stop it from starting. It made my cluster go crazy, nearly all of my lights were turning on then they'd turn off and all turn back on one by one. All my needles would go to the lowest position, and every once in a while my speedo and tach would work the freeze and slam down again. After driving for a few minutes of this, "error" appeared in the miles/trip window. I searched on here and on Google and some Malibu people said that it was the ignition switch going out. But I'm hoping to find someone familiar with this problem for our car. Side note, cluster was out of a junkyard car because my original stopped working. Please help me.
Thanks.

I would check the connector to the cluster. It may need to be clean since sometimes they get very corroded. Sounds like the cluster is dieing, or you have a bad ground somewhere to the cluster.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Re: theft system comes on while driving, cluster freaks out and all needles go all the way down.
Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:13 PM
i just pulled it all apart and all was good. its weird because it also makes my deck turn off and on.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:51 PM
Like I said before it makes my deck turn on anf off, but I just drove and noticed it was putting a strain on the whole electrical all together. My headlights flicker, my windows hardly move up and down. Could this possibly be the pcm? I know my battery terminals are good and all my grounds under the hood are as well. Someone please help..

Thursday, April 17, 2014 6:00 AM
I would check all your grounds.

Still sounds like a bad cluster or grounding issue.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, April 17, 2014 7:31 AM
ill put my old cluster in it to see if it happens with that one. this morning i went to start my car and it would just crank continuously without firing. i noticed that both my blinker lights were on solid. i took out my pcm to check for corrosion at the plugs and there wasn't any at all. after i plugged it back in i went around and got in the car and noticed the blinker lights were out. so i tried to start the car and it fired up then stalled right away. i started it again and it stayed running. I'm so confused.

Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:51 AM
i switched out the clusters and the same problem persists.:/ checked the cluster ground wire with a dmm and it checked out fine. I'm gonna try searching for how to disable the theft system since everything works perfectly fine till it comes one which is almost right away now. thanks for the guesses though!

Thursday, April 17, 2014 1:17 PM
heres what my dash looks like when it happens. the first time it happened nearly every light came on but now its only been these ones. minus the ABS and brake light. (i have a bad front wheel sensor thats is tripping my abs which trips the brake light) you can see error in the miles/trip screen and the blinker lights illuminated.
Attachments
IMG_20140416_194216_574.jpg (745k)

Thursday, April 17, 2014 1:18 PM
and sorry for the blurriness, low cars ride harsh and i was driving when i took that. lol

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 2:41 PM
It's the ground-strap from your battery to the tray.... I can almost guarantee it.

Check it for corrosion at the BS yellow crimp provided by factory, I bet it's burned or corroded. Replace the ground strap with a new one - I bet your problem goes away. I've been through this twice on two different J's.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Tuesday, May 06, 2014 8:53 AM
SweetnessGT wrote: It's the ground-strap from your battery to the tray.... I can almost guarantee it.

Check it for corrosion at the BS yellow crimp provided by factory, I bet it's burned or corroded. Replace the ground strap with a new one - I bet your problem goes away. I've been through this twice on two different J's.

-Chris-

i checked last night and there is a bit of corrosion underneath my terminal rings. I'm gonna relocated my grounds to a different location! thanks for the help man!

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 2:50 PM
i removed my grounds and sanded all the corrosion off of the tray and sanded the it to the metal and put them back in place and everything is perfect again. its weird, i didn't know that it could have corrosion after only a few months. Granted i didn't sand it before the big three.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search