Front End clunk noise - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Front End clunk noise
Thursday, April 17, 2014 7:10 PM
The car is a 2002 Cavalier 2.2 (non-ecotec) automatic. I get a loud clunking noise in the passenger side when i accelerate or hit the brakes. If i accelerate and it makes the clunk, i have to hit the brakes to make it clunk again. I've replaced the strut tower, cv axle, 2 engine mounts, transmission mount and now both lower control arm bushings. If the car is in park and i rock it back and forth i can make the noise again, if i rock it hard enough. Any and all help is appreciated, this sound is driving me nuts lol.

Re: Front End clunk noise
Thursday, April 17, 2014 7:55 PM
Maybe an issue with the actual struts/springs?

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE Sedan 2.2l Ecotec 4 Speed Auto.
Friday, April 18, 2014 6:59 AM
when you say strut tower do you mean strut mount? i know jbodies are common to clunk with old strut mounts.

Friday, April 18, 2014 11:02 AM
Not the mount up top where it bolts to car, but the part that holds the spring with the shock in it that mounts to the top of the spindle.
Friday, April 18, 2014 11:41 AM
Strut mounts.
Friday, April 18, 2014 2:30 PM
Yep, Sounds like your strut bushing is shot. There is a metal sleeve that is fused to a rubber boot of sorts. Once the metal sleeve separates from the rubber, you'll get a distinctive clunk/thud when hitting pot-holes, speed-bums, hard acceleration/braking(when it gets really worn).

Later,
Jack
Friday, April 18, 2014 3:19 PM
Thanks everyone for your input, I'll have to check on it soon. Thanks again.
Tuesday, April 22, 2014 10:20 AM
Coree Buss wrote:Thanks everyone for your input, I'll have to check on it soon. Thanks again.

was that the problem? i had the same clunk when accelerating and braking hard and also going in and out of my girlfriends moms driveway, its one of the ones that's a rounded curb. after i got my camber plates the problem stopped and haven't had an issue since.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 6:41 AM
I'm betting strut mount as well.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, April 28, 2014 7:20 PM
im currently having the same problem as the OP...
the noise mine makes has made it before&after i swapped the OEM struts, springs, and mounts. with a set of used tokicos, springs, and mounts
Only makes the noise when i accelerate, decelerate, or press the brake.

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"
Tuesday, April 29, 2014 11:03 AM
I just changed the front strut mount and its still making the clunking sound. This car is kicking my ass = (

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 11:33 AM
Also i had an alignment done about a week ago after changing the front control arm bushings and within a day or two the right tire isn't straight and is pointing right when the wheel is straight. I don't know if it will help to identify the problem but i thought i should share.
Wednesday, April 30, 2014 2:23 PM
Just now changed the inner tie rod, still making the clunking sound, i have a feeling its in the power steering rack.
Tuesday, May 06, 2014 9:04 AM
have you checked the ball joints? just kinda throwing rocks in the dark, so I'm not sure if they can clunk and cause the alignment to go out.

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 9:15 AM
One thing that can make A LOT of noise is a bad D bushing on a sway bar. Is your car equipped with one? Ball joints is another possibility though I admit I was in the strut mount camp before you changed them out.

Another place I would look is the big bolt that holds the control arms on. That bolt tends to back itself out and move around. I'm guessing that could make some serious noise. Pull it out and loctite the hell out of it, than run it back in.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, May 26, 2014 11:41 AM
Well, dont know if your issue is solved or not, but mine is solved. I had the 2 factory tranny mounts(rear mount only had 1/3 bolts in it) and 2 solid motor mounts, causing the drive train to shift sideways under load. Popped in solid mounts while changing my clutch, and the noise is mostly gone now. Hope this helps.

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search