Change Front Brake and rotor together? 2004 Sunfire - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Change Front Brake and rotor together? 2004 Sunfire
Tuesday, April 22, 2014 2:06 PM

2004 Sunfire
Front pads and rotors 2 yrs old with 20,000k.
Inside pad on drivers side brake is scoring into the rotor and squealing. Obviously a bad pad.
Can I change the pads only or should I change the rotors too.
Score line is 1/8in wide. Otherwise the rotors are fine with plenty of wear left.

Thanks

Walt

Re: Change Front Brake and rotor together? 2004 Sunfire
Tuesday, April 22, 2014 3:19 PM
Change them as a pair. Otherwise if you do pads and not rotors, then it will chew the new pads up. The pad/rotor full setup is not very expensive and takes no time to do.

Re: Change Front Brake and rotor together? 2004 Sunfire
Saturday, April 26, 2014 8:24 AM
I agree. The proper thing to do is to change both the pads and the rotors-- especially since you say that there is scoring on the rotors.

A little bit of scoring is normal, and I have replaced pads without replacing the rotors or having them "turned" (refinished), but it's not a good idea--- especially if they're badly scored. And it's not like your front brakes aren't important. It can be life or death so it's not worth saving the money, IMHO.

Rotors for these cars are so cheap nowadays that (at least in my area) it's the same price to buy a new set of rotors as it is to have them turned (which makes them a bit thinner and more prone to warping anyway).

By the way, the brake squealing is usually from the squeal tab that is put on the brake pad to let you know that the pad is worn down. It's a little metal tab that rubs against the rotor (and squeals) when the pads are worn down.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search