97 Cavalier Z24 Won't Start - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
97 Cavalier Z24 Won't Start
Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:04 PM
Hello , I have a 97 Z24 Automatic the car turns over fine but will not start, all indicator lights in the dash are on including theft system light. I had it checked with a hp tuner and it shows the passlock has already been disabled. I have installed new lock cylinder and the other ignition switch, a different cluster, new ignition module and it is showing no codes at all. I have checked all the grounds I can find and they are fine. The fuel pump comes on for a couple of seconds and cuts off as it should all fuses and relays check out good. I don't know what else to do this is a dirt track car that ran fine one day and the next it would not crank but turns over fine if any of you have any ideas please let me know it will be greatly appreciated. Thank-You

Re: 97 Cavalier Z24 Won't Start
Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:10 PM
I almost forgot I have tried the relearn dozens of times anyway even though the hp tuner said it was disabled didn't help. Thanks again
Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:56 PM
Spark plugs?

Thursday, April 17, 2014 3:19 AM
new plugs installed also Thanks
Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:58 AM
Have you confirmed that you have fuel? When the theft system gets passed off it cuts fuel and don't let the injectors fire. I would re enable the VATS since HPTuners can not completely turn VATS off in j-bodies.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, April 17, 2014 3:47 PM
I thought of that also so I tried another pcm that is programmed to my car with the vats enabled and still the same, all dash lights on along with theft system tried relearn with this one also but the theft light stays constantly on no change. Unless I have not found all the grounds I don't know what to do with it. I found the ones on the block, under the battery tray, on the floor boards of the interior, I haven't found the ones that are supposed to be under the dash. Can you think of anymore grounds I might be missing. Thanks again for everyone's help keep the ideas coming.
Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:13 PM
Edwin, you have to look at the lock cylinder, does it match with you cavalier model? i am telling you this because i have a z24 96 that use to have the same thing, theft system light solid on. that time i changed the cylinder and the cluster and nothing, but the problem was that i bought a ignition cylinder for 2000- 2002 cavalier, and the passlock codes are not the same, until i bought the right ignition cylinder the problem was finally solved. if you bought the right cylinder then you will have to look your car wiring, check all the passlock lines. Good Luck with that, when you solve this kind of problems you learn and understand that the passlock system is not a hard thing.
Sunday, April 27, 2014 5:44 AM
Thanks Manuel, The lock cylinder I bought from Oreilly's says its for a 97, I have access to another one supposed to be good I am going to try next week. Thanks for your help.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search