rust repair with fiberglass? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
rust repair with fiberglass?
Thursday, May 01, 2014 2:06 AM
for months iv been looking for a repair to fix all my rust. the car is an 04 2 door. its rusting out in the rear quarter panel both sides and the rocker pannels. idk how to weld and feel the car is to old to put the money into for a shop. i found out about fiberglass after ditching my idea for bondo. my idea is to cut and sand as much as the rust away. getting pretty clean. painting the inside of the rust holes with the rust oem rust stoper stuff then priming then painting with cheap spray paint. then filling it up with expandable foam. then ill prep the surface reall good and use fiberglass to patch the holes. then ill use body filler over the glass and prime and paint. i do know this isnt the best way i watch vids on this and they showed other repairs that have been done years ago so they claim it last. any one for or against this and any tips thanks

Re: rust repair with fiberglass?
Friday, May 02, 2014 4:09 PM
You used the word "cheap".

Expanding foam retains moisture. Filling the rockers with it will make them rot quicker. Do it right or don't waste time. If you really want to fix it, either pay someone to do it or learn how to weld and get it done. If neither of those work for you, leave it alone or you're going to speed up the death of the car.

Friday, May 02, 2014 8:50 PM
^
That.
If you fix it the "cheap" way, it will look worse than the rust does now.

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"
Friday, May 02, 2014 11:26 PM
No cheap way to fix it, as others have said. I managed to slow down the rust on my wife's 03, but I figure I have a few years before I have to retire it....

Save your money, drive until it starts costing some serious coin, and junk it. Bottom line there....

I'd much rather drop a new engine into a rust free car than waste my time on a rusted body anyways.......

http://www.autorentalandsales.com/images/2004Cavalier005.JPG
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search