2005 Cavalier is DEAD - REALLY DEAD, Help - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2005 Cavalier is DEAD - REALLY DEAD, Help
Friday, May 30, 2014 8:05 PM
I went to start my Cavalier and it started to crank and then everything went dead. Absolutely nothing happens (i.e. instrument panel, etc) when I put the key in the run or crank position. This is what I know so far.

1. Ground is good between the engine and the negative battery cable.
2. Battery voltage is good on both sides of the 50 amp ignition fuse located in the Fuse/Relay box under the hood.
3. With the connectors to the ignition switch disconnected there is only 0.4 volts on the two red wires with the battery connected. The voltage is zero with the battery disconnected.
4. Wiring looks good from the fuse/relay box up to the main connector under the hood.

Based on the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual that i have there is nothing between the ignition fuse and the ignition switch so I cannot figure out why there is voltage at the ignition fuse and but not on the red wires going into the connector that plugs into the ignition switch. The schematic shows the red wire goes direct between the ignition fuse and the ignition switch connector with nothing that could cause a disconnect.

Any Ideas?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search