No brakes!! - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
No brakes!!
Tuesday, May 27, 2014 3:38 PM
Car has been in storage for nearly 2 yrs. All was great when it was stored.

Car now has NO brakes what so ever, no fluid was in brake reservoir, which i know it was full when i parked it.
So added some and pump the brakes none of the fluid leaves the reservoir so not sure what is wrong.

Car also slips now in 3,4,5. 5 speed obviously.

Any ideas, thanks.

Re: No brakes!!
Tuesday, May 27, 2014 10:51 PM
Well no obvious leaks from the resevour means one of several things.First I would remove the rear wheels and check your wheel cylinders as they can seize up and start leaking at any time really.Also checking your front calipers would be a good idea.As for the manual trans slipping based on your scenario sounds like your slave cylinder inside the trans maybe the route of your problem.Being it is hydraulic and brake fluid runs that component it may be IT is the leak in the system as it ties into the brake system lines,resevour and it has dumped fluid all over your clutch and flywheel.Idk if the 3rd gens have a access hole to look inside but,I am guessing the slave developed a leak draining the brake fluid and all over your trans parts slipping clutch.I would check the slave cylinder res and see if it is low.If so slave is probably toast and do not recommend driving until you fix the problem the brake fluid is corrosive to the clutch and will just eat it up.Just my take on things you mentioned and if I am incorrect or left something off may others add/correct my points.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 12:52 PM
All the brake fluid went...leaked on/near the clutch...if my thoughts.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, May 28, 2014 3:12 PM
clutch master and brake master are two units. they cannot mingle. is it possible it evaporated? maybe was contaminated enough to loose properties?

obvious question, and leak spots UNDER the car?

Sunday, June 01, 2014 5:11 PM
No leakage was seen under the car. This car has always had great brakes, the reservoir was completely dry when i picked it up.

With work and all i have had no time to look at it as of yet. I knew you guys would have some insight on this matter as im sure others had the same issue before.

Any input is greatly appreciated, my first thought was both brakes and clutch were tied into each other to cause this issue with both problems.
Thanks

Sunday, June 01, 2014 9:35 PM
Just a remote chance that the fluid might also have leaked inside the car where the brake pedal pushes the brake master cylinder rod.Now this is a easy check just lay in the floor board and shine a light up to the push rod and see if a stain of brake fluid leaked into the car itself.This can happen and a easy overlook for a faulty brake master.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search