cruise control not working in 5th gear - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
cruise control not working in 5th gear
Thursday, June 05, 2014 5:49 PM
Like it says my cruise will work in 4th gear and will try to work in 5th gear . I have changed the trans before and did not have this problem . just asking if somebody knows how to fix this problem ?

Re: cruise control not working in 5th gear
Sunday, June 08, 2014 10:56 AM
Doesn't anybody anything about how the cruise control works and why to cuts off in 5th gear but will work fine in 4th gear .
Sunday, June 08, 2014 2:03 PM
What does it do when you try to use it in 5th?

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"
Monday, June 09, 2014 11:17 AM
When I try to use the cruise in 5th gear it will start to work but it will shut down I try to reset the cruise it will kick back in and then shut down , if I put it back to 4th gear it will work just fine .
Thursday, June 12, 2014 6:43 AM
You still have not given enough info!
Is that a factory CC or an aftermarket one?
I assume you have a manual gearbox, is that correct?
Is that a '97 car?

A CC usually does not work below a given speed.
If it is an aftermarket CC, for the speed signal they could have used the tacho signal instead of the signal coming from the gearbox.
If a CC is asked to work below that given speed, it could shut down. In fifth gear the engine RPM could be low enough to kick the CC out from speed control.
Does the CC work in fifth gear at highway speeds?

If it is a factory CC I would check the correct operation of the speed signal to the CC controller.

Good luck, Peter
Saturday, June 14, 2014 12:04 PM
The cruise is factory it is a 1997 Z24 5 speed with a 2.4L engine . the trans I installed was for a 97 2.2L but we changed the bell housing side of the trans to fit a 2.4L engine .I was wondering if the two trans have different gear ratios ? and if they do how can I fix the problem .
Monday, June 16, 2014 5:17 PM
After reading up on gm cruise control I believe the problem is in the programming of the computer . is there anybody that has a HP tuner and has seen the cruise RPM limits for the cruise .
Tuesday, June 17, 2014 7:46 AM
I can check my file when I get home. I'll also give you this information:

Sometimes my cruise will not work when I attempt to set it in 5th gear. That scenario is different from yours since mine flat out doesn't work when it's acting up. If I push the clutch all the way in, then let it out and make sure it's all the way out, it works flawlessly. I think it has something to do with the clutch switch; and probably the floor mat getting in the way or something.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, June 17, 2014 3:22 PM
I don't have a 2.4 program for '97 but the 2.2 program I have only mentions cruise for auto transmission shift points. Nothing in the ECM for cruise cut out/enable RPM/speed.

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 6:43 PM
I know the computer can cut out the cruise and the computer also knows when it is in 5th gear because the shift light does not come on in 5th gear . Thanks for checking , the programming for a 5 speed must be different then for a auto trans . I need to get a HP tuner . Thanks again .
Wednesday, June 18, 2014 4:50 PM
My 05 manual doesn't have anything about cruise beyond what was already stated either so I would doubt it.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 12:30 PM
check your third brake lite
make sure all bulbs are working
Wednesday, July 02, 2014 1:28 PM
I found the gear ratios for the for the 5 speed trans for 1997 2.2L and the 2.4L engines and the problem is the computer is cutting out the cruise control because the RPM is not where it should be , the gear ratios are different .
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search