Always low on coolant - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Always low on coolant
Wednesday, June 04, 2014 4:27 PM
Figure I'll open this up to everyone. As most of you know, I swapped a low mileage LK9 into my 05 cav. Everything regarding the cooling system is bone stock, including the l61 waterneck that I'm using on the motor. For some reason it will pretty much empty the collection tank after a few days, seemingly blowing it all right out of the overflow. Every time I fill it back up it just blows it back out for a few days until I get the idiot light for low coolant on the dash again. It NEVER overheats, never even makes it to the 4th tick (230F?).

I bought a new pressure cap hoping that was the issue but it apparently isn't. I've been driving it around for a few days without filling it up. Seems like the light comes on a little after cold start then eventually goes away for the rest of the drive. When I park it and shut down, I can feel the upper rad hose is so pressurized that I can't squeeze it in even a little. After leaving it sit for FIVE days there was still a significant amount of pressure in the system when I pulled the cap off again.

I'm just waiting to find a ballooned up hose or for one blow clean off as I'm pretty sure there's only one thing that can be wrong at this point. Anyway, interested in what everyone has to say first. Discuss..

"In Oldskool we trust"

Re: Always low on coolant
Wednesday, June 04, 2014 9:57 PM
Unless you have say a restriction in the heater core or radiator and or the block in the water jackets might explain the back pressure.I really do not know what else to suggest being fairly tired after yardworking all afternoon.Not running over temps is good but trying a good coolant flush using lime away about a half bottle,run at idle for 20 min,then drain and run clean water at least once and then twice if the water is hazy then refill with the proper mix ratio coolant.Lime away or any knock off version is perfectly safe to use and I can verify this 100% in several rides I have serviced!Just a thought being wayyy tired.

Thursday, June 05, 2014 2:57 PM
Thanks for the reply Ron. I thought maybe the core was blocked up or something. It throws good heat but you never know. I'm leaning towards a slightly blown head gasket myself, which would really suck considering I had the whole thing apart not that long ago.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, June 05, 2014 5:58 PM
Smell the exhaust?
Thursday, June 05, 2014 6:03 PM
Philly D wrote:Smell the exhaust?

A few times. I can't smell anything that would indicate coolant.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, June 05, 2014 9:35 PM
Well I can say heater cores and radiators can work fine in general and cool,heat but,over time they both build up trash that just will not be flushed out.I find the flushes available do not clear out half as much trash as the lime away product.I know for example my 87 mazda had good heat but not super and the truck never ran hot or spiked up in even hot weather.I finally upgraded both the rad/heater core in 10 and the difference was literally night to day cooled quick in summer,heat was stupid quick like it was well brand new.Even cars with a ten year system if not cleaned build goo and restrict water flow over time while you may never see the actual issue as it builds over time.I would at least pull one or two plugs if the head gasket is seeping into the cylinder your plugs will show the residue for sure.Just some more thoughts and heck even using one of those small pinpoint cameras it will alloy u to see down into the plug hole at the cylinder head for any pitting or antifreeze sitting inside.Ok

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search