Front bearing time, need help - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Front bearing time, need help
Tuesday, June 17, 2014 5:19 PM
2000 Cavalier

Ok, I need grease the front bearings. I haven't done it on this car and I can only assume it's still the same procedure as other front wheel cars I've done this to.

Stupid question, are the front bearings able to be removed and packed with bearings grease, then replace? Or is it a sealed unit that has to be bought?

And how do you remove the one spindle nut 'large' that is behind the rotor, centered on the spindle. I remember a few years back trying to remove it, had a breaker bar and the correct size socket and could not get it to loosen.

And help is appreciated....thanks

Ipud wrote:We put Jap Traps on cinder blocks around here. We don't wave the American flag for novelty

I proudly own American cars, nothing else....

Re: Front bearing time, need help
Tuesday, June 17, 2014 6:25 PM
the units are sealed and not serviceable.

you need to remove the axle nut in order to get the wheel hub off.

remove tire
jack stand in air
remove axle nut
remove brake caliper
remove rotor
remove 3 torx bolts holding axle hub on. there's 3 holes on the hub. one is bigger to let a torx socket through.
use light tapping force on hub to separate it from the knuckle
you may have to tap the driveshaft in to get it free of the hub splines.

BE CAREFUL NOT TO SMASH THE AXLE DIRECTLY.
Use a block of wood or something that won't deform the end of the axle. If you damage it and can't start the threads on the nut again, you'll have to replace the entire axle.

use anti-seize on the splines (you never want the axle and hub to seize together.. it sucks. believe me I know.

installation is reversal of removal
hub torx bolts get tightened to 70 ft-lbs
axle nut gets tightened to 148ft-lbs (I just do 150 because that's as high as my torque wrench goes)

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:14 AM
Wow thanks for that.

One question though. Is their something special I need to know or do to remove the axle nut? I tried a couple of years ago to remove them, had the correct size socket, and using a breaker bar, I couldn't loosen it.

Should I be using pneumatic power to remove it?

Sorry for the dumb question

Ipud wrote:We put Jap Traps on cinder blocks around here. We don't wave the American flag for novelty

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:54 AM
Last I had min off, I had to use an impact to break the nuts free. Also, I bet your axle is going to be stuck into the bearing...

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, June 18, 2014 11:56 AM
Use a breaker bar, and literally step on it, and jump a little.
That is the tightest nut on the car.
Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:08 PM
Ok guys thanks. I ordered the front bearing hubs from rock auto. I'll update on how it goes!

Sunday, July 13, 2014 7:08 PM
Got them installed. It wasn't difficult at all. About an hour on each side. I saved prolly $230.00 or more by doing it myself.

One thing I couldn't figure out is why my chitons manual told me to remove the tie rod ends from the hub assembly. Removing them with a fork and hammer definitely will destroy them and need replacement. I did the entire bearing replacement without removing them

Thanks for the help...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search