Radiator replacement - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Radiator replacement
Saturday, May 17, 2014 11:44 AM

Hey.

So after being in check-engine-light / emissions inspection hell for the last 6 weeks (you can read about that on my previous posting "at the end of my rope"), on the fourth trip to the dealer, they ran the car for 30+ minutes to do the inspection, having already done the same thing in the 3 prior visits. I had what was a small leak in my radiator plastic side tank section and just learned how to deal with it when driving around town and would have to add a little coolant once in a while. Anyway, I start the car up to leave and make another 60-or-so mile trip to the DMV and tag office to deal with emissions inspection waiver crap again - and the temp jumps right up to near the top at 260 degrees and the "low coolant" light comes on. I had been adding coolant between visits but I think I forgot this last time so when they were working on it, the last remaining coolant leaked out and I barely got up the road 1/2 a mile before I had to stop and add some. The previous times, it just took a little, but this time, I emptied the entire 1 gallon bottle right in and when I opened the hood, everything was covered in the stuff and since that time, it has leaked at every stop and the small leak has turned into a huge leak. Just more of the benefits and fun of the emissions inspection / CEL hell. It has already cost me about $500 total between all the parts, diagnostics, wasted gas, fees, etc....and now I am looking at having to replace the radiator on top of all that.

So my question is: Has anyone replaced their radiator on a 2001 Cavalier 5-speed manual transmission or any similar model and can it be done from the TOP without raising the car up? Even if you do have to raise the car, how difficult is it to do yourself? And what about the AC system lines? The condenser being in the way is what scares me the most, I think. I'd hate to screw up the AC having already spent $600 on that a couple of years ago.

Thanks for any advice or info.

DJ, Raleigh

Re: Radiator replacement
Saturday, May 17, 2014 7:58 PM
Remove the headlights with 2 bolts each. Remove the plastic shroud. Remove the 4 bolts holding the hood latch and then 2 bolts holding the radiator. Then 2 hoses and it's out. Pretty easy to do with a 13mm socket, maybe a 10, 15mm, and a pliers. Not difficult can easily be done I'm a few hours.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Re: Radiator replacement
Sunday, June 22, 2014 8:29 AM
It looks a lot harder than it actually is, but honestly the hardest part for me was getting the lower radiator hose off. I couldn't get that damn thing for the life of me, i actually had to spray some WD40 into the hose. No matter how much twisting and pulling and prying I couldn't get it off. Eventually I finally got it off, perseverance is the key. I also disconnected the battery and unplugged and removed the air bag sensor.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search