Ecotec Burning oil and then...not? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec Burning oil and then...not?
Thursday, June 26, 2014 9:58 PM
I have an '04 sunfire with 356,000km (221,200mi). For about the past 50,000km it has been burning oil. I would add some about every 500 - 1000km as it would get down to the low mark. Lately however this oil consumption seems to have stopped. It was not from any leak that I could tell, I don't have fresh spots in the driveway. The past 2000-3000km I have not had to add any. It has just stayed nearly at the top line of the full mark. I was thinking maybe leaking head gasket, but I don't see evidence of coolant in the oil. The coolant level in the reservoir is not dropping either.

Does anyone have a theory as to what is going on here?

Re: Ecotec Burning oil and then...not?
Friday, June 27, 2014 4:15 AM
Is your pcv system functioning properly?

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Friday, June 27, 2014 5:16 AM
Matt Linke wrote:Is your pcv system functioning properly?

I am not sure. I guess I would need a code reader to check?
Friday, June 27, 2014 9:11 AM
No, this wouldn't throw a code on these cars. I am not too familiar with the PCV system on the l61, but it sounds like if you have intermittent oil consumption that you may have excess crank case pressure causing it

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Friday, June 27, 2014 1:30 PM
Matt Linke wrote:No, this wouldn't throw a code on these cars. I am not too familiar with the PCV system on the l61, but it sounds like if you have intermittent oil consumption that you may have excess crank case pressure causing it

More than likely this is what is going on.

There should be a hose that goes from the nipple on the valve cover to the intake tube. If that's not hooked up properly it will burn oil; it happened to me. The pcv system on these motors requires vacuum to function properly. If everything is hooked up properly, pull the hose off of the intake hose side and blow into it to make sure air is flowing freely. If it's not, pull the hose off of the valve cover and make sure the nipple isn't clogged up. If that's not the issue my next suggestion would be to pull the valve cover and see how things look in there.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search