Wobble/brake pulse - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Wobble/brake pulse
Friday, June 27, 2014 5:58 AM
hey guys. 04 cav sedan. having brake pulsing when slowing down and wobble from 10-20 mph take off. just got new rotors and pads. nothing on the front end seems loose. any ideas? also just lowered my car and havent got an alignment. but the brake pulsing was going on before this. thanks for any help.
,Alex

04 Cav Base 4dr auto, honda beater.

Intake
Catback
Header (to be installed)
M2 lowering springs (shocks to come)

Re: Wobble/brake pulse
Thursday, July 03, 2014 4:37 PM
tires dude. run your hand across them and see if they are uneven at all.
Thursday, July 03, 2014 9:56 PM
I want say tire wobble is not from worn prematurely tires but that to me is not the issue.Brake pulsating could be from a out of balance tire,worn front wheel bearing(play in the hub).Since you did rotors and pads that eliminates half the issue.A simple check is take the front tires off,then place one hand on both sides of the rotor with the calipers still on as normal,then try to move the rotors up and down and side to side.IF you have any slop from the hub then I suspect front bearing,or bearings need to be replaced.I want go as far to say a good alignment would def cause the brakes to be wobbly or pulsate if your things are not aligned,and tires in balance.I have dealt with this issue from both sides of a problem.1 was crappy worn rotors,and or tire balance or alignment causing damage to the brakes and rotors and pads worn premature,and all due to alignment being wacked out.Simply checking the hub play for bearing issues is free,and if there screwy I would get this done prior to a alignment.Now granted I may be incorrect or left a idea out,but this is a short list of possible reasons and the lowered aspect can affect all the suspension and brake stuff is something is worn,or out in the spec dept.Hope this helps better explain the problem.

Saturday, July 05, 2014 8:16 AM
Well Thanks for the replies! if it helps any to, the car has 42k miles on it and pretty sure nothing has been changed on the front end. my father in law suspected front bearing, but the tire does not move at all when trying to rock it back and forth. we also thought maybe the calipers were not working properly causing pulsation. still need to look into it.

04 Cav Base 4dr auto, honda beater.

Intake
Catback
Header (to be installed)
M2 lowering springs (shocks to come)
Saturday, July 05, 2014 12:27 PM
A buddy of mine had his calipers on his cavalier not function properly, which caused un even pad wear and replacing the rotors/pads didn't fix it. Calipers were just semi "seizing" on only one side. He replaced the calipers and it fixed the problem. (I forgot what they are called but the caliper bolts were the things "seizing" and didn't have any lubricant on them, which in turn made the back side of the caliper loose and the rotor to wobble).
Sunday, July 06, 2014 12:25 AM
I will say a brake caliper issue could cause this.I can confirm if your slide pins have not been routinely grease with actual brake caliper grease they dry out and the piston might work fine but not engage the pads tight and even.You might want to at least recheck he the slide pins for any premature wear and check the rubber seal around the piston in the caliper.If any of this looks worn just do a buy new reman caliper and you will just have to the bleed the brakes as rebuilding calipers is a total waste of time over the cost.I like napa's calipers over advance or auto zone seem to be better quality.If your slide pins look out of round or any inconsistency replace the slide pins which are sold separate!Idk if the cavs have a rubber bushing on one end of the slides like Honda but I would def update your slide pin boots this keeps the grease inside.I myself use permatex's caliper grease sold at most auto stores in a small container over those useless .99 cent packets what a joke.Spend like 8.00 and get the permatex grease it is green in color and will last a really longggggg time.The technical name for the permatex is ultra disc brake caliper lube in a 8fl oz plastic can white can green label.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search