Wierd problem when car comes to a full stop. - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Wierd problem when car comes to a full stop.
Sunday, June 29, 2014 5:49 AM
Well about a week ago I was in a parking lot fully stopped waiting for a spot when all of a sudden I realized the engine was really quiet so I let my foot off the brake to see if it would crawl forward because it was in drive, nothing I look at the gauges RPM is at 0 but the check engine and oil pressure lights aren't on just the DRL indicator. The radio is still on and the car never shuddered or shook the engine just died nothing electrical was interrupted the radio never flickered other than the RPM gauge dropping nothing on the cluster changed either. It it started right back up with no issues and was fine after.

Skip to yesterday afternoon I was in the car with my dad and I'm stopped at a light waiting to turn left. The blinker is on radio is on DRL indicator is on the car is in drive fully stopped. I glanced down at my gas gauge to check where it was at and notice out of the corner of my eye that the tachometer and it's at 0. The engine is dead again. There was no indication it died again no shudder no misfire. The radio is still on never interrupted blinker is on DRL is on still. But again the CEL ISN'T on the oil light ISN'T on and nothing indicated the engine died or stalled or anything.

What do you think this is????? The air filter is good still but I have a extra one so I'm going to swap it out today just to rule that out I know the plugs are good I just replaced them less than 2k miles ago. Oil is good that's also less than 2k miles. I don't beat on my car I take pretty good care of it so and my dad says I drive like an old man on Sunday.

It's not a huge deal now if it only happens when I'm stopped but I don't want it to die while I'm moving. What else should I look for? My thought is that it's electrical so I was planning to check the fuses today and look at wiring connections too just to make sure none are loose.

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE Sedan 2.2l Ecotec 4 Speed Auto.

Re: Wierd problem when car comes to a full stop.
Sunday, June 29, 2014 10:53 AM
I was talking to a friend about this he said the sunfire was included in the ignition switch recall so I'm going to look that up. Whether it is or not it seems like that could be the issue so I'll investigate that more.

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE Sedan 2.2l Ecotec 4 Speed Auto.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search