2002 Cavalier w/ 2.2l OHV Overheating - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2002 Cavalier w/ 2.2l OHV Overheating
Friday, March 28, 2014 6:40 AM
Hey Guys This Morning My Cav Overheated within 10-15 minute was up to i would say 210 so i shut it off and relieved the pressure out of the system by twisting the cap after it cooled off i removed the cap to check the level, level was fine. added coolant to be safe and ran the car without the cap to bleed the system and car was fine could there be any underlining problem that anyone experienced .

Thank Matt

Re: 2002 Cavalier w/ 2.2l OHV Overheating
Friday, March 28, 2014 8:31 AM
Matthew Hannon wrote:Hey Guys This Morning My Cav Overheated within 10-15 minute was up to i would say 210 so i shut it off and relieved the pressure out of the system by twisting the cap after it cooled off i removed the cap to check the level, level was fine. added coolant to be safe and ran the car without the cap to bleed the system and car was fine could there be any underlining problem that anyone experienced .

Thank Matt

Were you in traffic, or cruising down the highway? If you were stopped and the radiator fan motor didn't work, it would overheat. They have failed on me twice.

dennis
Friday, March 28, 2014 8:59 AM
Fan motor, or thermostat. Thats where I would start.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Friday, March 28, 2014 9:05 AM
Matt Linke wrote:Fan motor, or thermostat. Thats where I would start.

This. Since it happened so fast I'm guessing the thermostat is stuck closed. Be careful not to round those bolts off of the thermostat housing, they corrode and get pretty tight in there. Using some heat or warming the motor up helps significantly.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, March 28, 2014 9:59 AM
Quote:

This. Since it happened so fast I'm guessing the thermostat is stuck closed. Be careful not to round those bolts off of the thermostat housing, they corrode and get pretty tight in there. Using some heat or warming the motor up helps significantly.

Thats funny this exact thing happened to me. I was able to grab the backside of the bolts (since they poke through) with vice grips and turn the wrench at the same time and they cracked free. I drilled and tapped the water neck for larger bolts with more coarse threads. F that noise.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Friday, March 28, 2014 10:06 AM
Matt Linke wrote:
Quote:

Thats funny this exact thing happened to me. I was able to grab the backside of the bolts (since they poke through) with vice grips and turn the wrench at the same time and they cracked free. I drilled and tapped the water neck for larger bolts with more coarse threads. F that noise.

Lol that's exactly what I had to do.

To OP, another thing I did with my ln2 was flush the entire system and convert to green ethylene glycol antifreeze. Never rusted in the block after that and cooled perfectly.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, July 02, 2014 11:07 AM
This is probably late but I had this issue happen to me and it turned out to be the o-ring in the coolant cap was bad and was spilling out the coolant when the car got hot. After replacing that I found that the radiator developed a leak so while changing it I replaced the thermostat with a nice one from the auto parts store. Then my overheating nightmare started. After trouble shooting the issue I gave up and went to the dealership and turns out the auto parts store thermostat was the cause of my overheating. They put an oem thermostat in its place and I've been good ever since.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search