!998 Cav motor oil question - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
!998 Cav motor oil question
Sunday, April 27, 2014 2:18 PM
Is it ok to put 5W-20 in a 98 Cav? My dad put it in the car when he changed the oil.

Re: !998 Cav motor oil question
Monday, April 28, 2014 10:41 AM
According to the owner's manual for the 1996 Cavalier (for both the 2.2L and 2.4L engines) 10W-30 is fine for when the outdoor temperatures are above 0 degrees Fahrenheit (-18 degrees C). For temperatures below that you should use 5W-30. Since I live in northern CA, I only ever use 10W-30 on my 1996 2.4L Cavs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil#Multi-grade
Monday, June 09, 2014 7:08 PM
I've run Pennzoil yellow bottle 5w20 in my 98 cavalier for the last two oil changes, only because it was given to me. The engine seems to like the oil, the valve train is quiet and it picked up a little MPG. It has 240,000 miles and does a long daily commute.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 6:23 AM
I would rather go with a thicker oil, than a thinner.

If you have a 2.4L LD9 I would advise against running the 5W20. I would stick with a 30 or 40 weight oil.

A lot of use run 5W30 or 10W30. In the summer a few of use run 10W40. A few auto cross guys and turbo guys have run 20W50 without issue. 20W50 is to thick for cold weather though in my opinion.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
audio alarm module
Saturday, July 05, 2014 2:01 PM
Does any know where I can buy an audio alarm module for my 1987Cimarron? and also where it is located?
Re: audio alarm module
Sunday, July 06, 2014 12:37 AM
Joseph you might try gmpartsdirect.com for that.I am a 1st gen owner and semi fluent with the Cimarron.I would have to do some research on that to see if I can determine the location of said item.I am wayyy tired and probably want be to soon on my and findings.Any other ?s on your cimmaron PLEASE post in the 1st gen forums as we as a group no more on these older j models.Ron

Re: audio alarm module
Sunday, July 06, 2014 10:16 AM
RON,
Thanks for your response. Yes I will try the GMpartsdirect website for parts. Is that your yellow Cimarron in the pic? My Cimarron has the same Chamois yellow color, but mine is a 2-tone color with a Medium Gray charcoal metallic below the molding. I have noticed Medium Gray charcoal metallic color is lately very popular with different car manufacturers. I used to not like the audio alarm noise, but now I want to fix it since my BATT went dead after forgetting and leaving the key in the "ON" position too long.

Also do you know about V6 2.8 liter engine oil pan leaks and have replaced the original one that came with the car and thought I finally fixed it, but it has started leaking again and I wonder if this is just a design defect or possible I can fix it with some kind of oil stop leak I can add to the oil ? I use Royal Purple synthetic oil.
Thanks,
Joe
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search