How to seal Royal Purple oil leak - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How to seal Royal Purple oil leak
Wednesday, July 09, 2014 9:35 AM
I have a 1987 Cimarron with 2.8 liter V6, but ever since I bought almost new, the oil pan gasket which is a molded rubber one always leaked oil. I have retorqued the original gasket a few times and this did stop much of the leaking which I find occurs mainly around the ends of this gasket which are designed in a semi-circle shape to fit around both ends of the crankshaft. And I have recently replaced this gasket with a new molded rubber one that just started leaking after only a few thousand miles after installing it and I did torque it to specs, which was holding Royal Purple motor oil, which made my engine get much better gas mileage than the previous brand of synthetic oil.

My question is does anyone know of an oil additive that can cause the molded rubber gaskets, which are used in this engine, to swell up, etc. to prevent this oil leaking? I did ask the Royal Purple sales rep about this, but he keeps saying not to add anything to this oil perhaps for legal/performance reasons.
Thanks

Re: How to seal Royal Purple oil leak
Wednesday, July 09, 2014 11:10 AM
cover the gasket in high temp rtv. That what i always do. I have yet to find an oil pan gasket, or trans gasket that doesnt leak after a while, Coating it stops this. New gm engines do not even use a gasket, they use rtv around the pan and bolt it right up.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Re: How to seal Royal Purple oil leak
Wednesday, July 09, 2014 5:07 PM
Wow a Cimarron. Post some pics over in the 1st gen forum don't get too many Cimarron owners here.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search