Inner tie rod removal - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Inner tie rod removal
Thursday, July 17, 2014 11:33 AM
I no this shouldnt be this hard but I am having a heck of a time getting the inner rods boot clamp to come undone. My chilton manual says to remove rack from the vehicle(99cavy). Its a tight fit but it seems doable still in the vehicle. But I cannot get that clamp completely off. I used a screw driver to pry it semi loose. Before I go off and rip the boot accidently, does anyone no for sure if you have to use a special tool to remove this inner clamp? or anything more useful than a flat head that i can use?

Re: Inner tie rod removal
Thursday, July 17, 2014 2:46 PM
On my brothers old car I cut the boot clamp off and replaced with a hose clamp when it was all done. With it in the car and only on a jack it was kinda rough getting in there to do it.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 8:46 PM
I used my Dremel to cut my brackets off. The inner tie rod was a bitch of a project on my car too.
Friday, August 08, 2014 7:33 PM
i also used a dremel to remove the original bands. they have to be cut off, no way around it. you have to get new boots too. my new set came with zip ties but i went out and got hose clamps. it was insanity trying to get the new boot on. no room to work. i suggest soaking it in hot water so it is more plyable. good luck.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search