2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Engine Seized - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Engine Seized
Saturday, June 28, 2014 2:53 PM
I was driving down the interstate about 70 when it took place. At first it sounded almost hollow and dry like when your exhaust goes out, I started to slow down but seconds later it start knocking and everything cut out. The shop I took it to (which specialized in window tint and showed no interest in fixing my car) found that a gasket broke and all the oil had been forced out. I took my car home because he quoted me 2800 with a used engine and 4700 for a new engine.

My question is, what is the most cost effective way? I'm not opposed to a used engine but would rather bore out my current engine if the pricing isn't too outrageous so it can at least feel 'new'

I'm really torn right now because it's still a great car.
I'm also considering doing the work myself depending on the money.
I've done my alternator and breaks before but never an engine but my only fear is time.

Thanks in advanced.
Attachments
20121121_181823.jpg (1957k)

Re: 2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Engine Seized
Saturday, June 28, 2014 7:55 PM
A direct engine swap is easy. Unbolt everything then bolt the new stuff in.

The most cost effective thing for you though, would be to buy a new car. I'm sorry to say it, but the cost to repair your car is more than what the car is worth. Unless you can find a $600 engine and do it all yourself. Repairing the engine you have now is probably not worth it (but in order to know for sure, you need to take it to someone reputable, not the window tint guy).

Friday, July 18, 2014 9:34 PM
EPA fuel economy is 26 miles per gallon city and 38 miles per gallon highway on LT and LTZ, and 28 miles per gallon highway on Eco when equipped with manual transmission...............
Chevrolet monthly discounts and specials offers Portland
Sunday, July 27, 2014 3:13 PM
Its on you really how you want to go about doing it. If I were you I'd get my car looked at by a dealership first, before jumping to any conclusions. Worst case scenario if you had to chose one or the other. I'd probably go with a used engine.... an Ecotec engine shouldn't be a pain in the neck to find and believe me when I tell you, That 02 LS Sport car you have is SUPER rare. I work for a chevy dealership and I have had guys on the look out for one for a year, and no luck. So believe me that is def a car worth keeping, just do what you think is best, it all depends on what the car is worth to you.
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 8:43 PM
Why can't the current motor be repaired? Unless it's a head gasket issue I really don't see the problem. Can you elaborate on the symptoms?
Thursday, July 31, 2014 3:41 AM
I bet the timing chain stretched, and the tensionsor failed.

Common on 00-02 L61 Engines.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, July 31, 2014 3:42 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search