Cavalier hard to start - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cavalier hard to start
Friday, August 08, 2014 4:11 PM
I have a 2005 Cav with 78k miles, up until a few weeks ago my car had been find but its really hard to start. Its gotten to the point I have to press the gas pedal. First I cleaned the batter post and that initially fixed for a couple days but the hard starting came back and I dont know whats causing it now. I know its not the fuel pump because I have that replaced a year ago. Battery voltage its good at 12.6V. One thing I did notice is a slight smell of gas under the hood but no where else and I dont see any leaks. Does anyone have any ideas?

Re: Cavalier hard to start
Friday, August 08, 2014 5:23 PM
Tried plugs?

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Friday, August 08, 2014 9:16 PM
Check the fuel pressure regulator for leaking , it could flood the engine , pull off the vacuum hose and see if there is gas in the hose.
Sunday, August 10, 2014 10:13 AM
I second Tech.... I'm thinking a faulty fuel pressure regulator.I had the same issue with my 03 Grand Am GT, when you said you smelled gas that triggered me. Do everything Tech just said. The best time to try may be first thing in the morning. So if you do it now and don't see anything. Don't assume you're in the clear do it in the a.m too
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search