97 sunfire 2.2L overheat/fan not working - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
97 sunfire 2.2L overheat/fan not working
Monday, June 16, 2014 11:48 PM
Hello all, I am helping a friend with an overheating and fan not functioning issue. We replaced a faulty stuck thermostat, then within minutes of that fix the water pump went so we replaced that, the fan does not turn on when it is suppose to. We have tested the fan directly (working) tested the fuse (working) tested the relay (working) un-plugged the ECT sensor (fan turns on), jumpered ECT (fan turns on), tested the ECT sensor, (readings where all over the map so replaced it) But the fan still does not come on when it gets hot.

I have read that the 2.2l has two coolant sensors but there is not a sensor anywhere near the pulleys. Can anyone tell me what we should try/test next, or if you have a link handy to a similar situation can you post it please?

Re: 97 sunfire 2.2L overheat/fan not working
Sunday, August 10, 2014 10:08 AM
Dang this post is old, you probably aren't having the issue anymore. If you are though I'd like to ask how did you go about testing the relay? There is no sure way to test one.... Even if you jump it and it clicks that still doesn't mean it works. Try putting a new relay in it and running it to operating temperature and let me know what happens.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search