What water pump to use? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What water pump to use?
Friday, August 08, 2014 12:49 PM
I installed a new water pump 2 years ago and it is starting to leak . just want to know what water pumps and how long they are lasting?

Re: What water pump to use?
Friday, August 08, 2014 4:01 PM
I guess it would help to say what engine it's 2.4L thanks
Sunday, August 10, 2014 10:19 AM
Get one from the dealership, I know it's expensive,but nothing else comes close to the quality. And I know those 2.4 pumps are no joke!! Since I'd started working at a Chevy dealer, I only use dealer parts and I've never had a problem.
Tuesday, August 12, 2014 11:40 AM
The pump I used was from the dealership and it didn't last . the cooling system was clean the rad. was also new when the pump was installed ,coolant was good .
Wednesday, August 13, 2014 12:38 PM
I guess nobody changes the water pumps on these cars.
Wednesday, August 13, 2014 6:10 PM
From everything I've read on here there are 2 types of people on forums. The ones who fix 1 or multiple water pumps on there 2.4s. And then there's the people who sell/scrap their car once their water pump leaks in there 2.4L.

My 2.4L leaked a tiny bit from the weep hole in the water pump. Maybe a drip every 3 minutes? Drove like that for a year until the car was written off.
Although if I had needed to replace it I would have replaced it with the dealer one. As the original ones seem to last awhile.
Friday, August 22, 2014 1:39 PM
Thanks for the reply , But I spent like $125 on a pump from the dealer , I was hoping some one would have used other brand pumps . I guess I will have to try a pump that I think will last .
Sunday, August 31, 2014 11:56 AM
Well I installed a new water pump from autozone it only cost $40 not like the pump from the dealer that cost me $125 2 years ago . well lets see how long this one will last.
Sunday, September 28, 2014 1:15 PM
I have two 1996 2.4L Cavalier convertibles that I bought new. The water pump on one failed massively after 6 years & 38,000 miles, and it cost me $728 to have it fixed including parts. Unfortunately, I don't have any record of what kind of water pump I had installed but it has lasted for another 80,0000 miles, so far. (Jinx!) My other Cav's water pump failed massively after 11 years & 62,000 miles. It cost me $1000 to get it fixed but that included a new thermostat, gasket, & timing-chain-tensioner-- all of which should be replaced as long as you're in there. For that one, I made a note that the mechanic strongly advised installing a $155 GM water pump, rather than using a no-name $91. He said they're much better (which seemed odd since the originals failed so soon). I reluctantly took his advice and it's survived another 20,000, so far. (Jinx!)

I can't really recommend any particular brand of water pump but it's such an expensive job on this car that it seems worth spending more to get the best pump possible. One might assume that you get what you pay for and a more expensive GM pump would be better, but it's hard to know. I'd do some Internet research to see what people are saying.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search