Couple questions with a '99 Cavalier - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Couple questions with a '99 Cavalier
Sunday, July 20, 2014 1:19 PM
I hope this is the correct area to post this!

I took and bought my brother a nice 1999 Cavalier with 220,000 KM's, interior is in very clean condition, normal spots where rust is starting to show on the body. 2.2L, new alternator, new air filter, recent oil change, 5spd.

So far I have replaced the muffler bracket as they had it held with a piece of cable, put in a bottle of fuel system cleaner and a full tank of fuel, replaced the valve cover gasket, new AC Delco plugs, new wires, new rad cap, new wiper blades.

I've attached a copy of photo's I took. Top of the engine looks very clean inside, no sludge build up at all. The spark plugs I pulled out look like they have been in there a bit too long! 2 have no centre electrode left. It had a slight miss at idle and with the new plugs it is a lot better! Also took and cleaned the throttle body the best I could!

I do think the clutch must be getting quite worn out though. I have no problem with it going into any of the gears or reverse, but it seems like I have to let the clutch out basically all the way before it is catching. I have had an '03 & an '05 Cavalier and neither of them seem to have as much travel in the clutch. I did top up the clutch fluid as it was a bit low, which I'm guessing means it must be time for a new one...
Attachments
IMG_1484.JPG (774k)
IMG_1488.JPG (249k)
IMG_1487.JPG (370k)
IMG_1486.JPG (223k)
IMG_1489.JPG (325k)

Re: Couple questions with a '99 Cavalier
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 3:23 AM
No one has any ideas or thoughts????
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 5:06 AM
What exactly are you asking? I was having a hard time figuring out what you needed help with from the OP it seems like you've got it all under control! If you're asking about the clutch I don't know exactly where the conversion from miles to KM puts you but I'm pretty sure that you're due for a new one.

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE Sedan 2.2l Ecotec 4 Speed Auto.
Sunday, July 27, 2014 5:22 PM
Backpaker is right you didn't really ask a question, but to elaborate... If you don't really have the funds to replace the clutch try bleeding the air out of it. Since you said the fluid is low and you had to add then there is a chance you got air in it. To buy you some time try bleeding, its a very simple process simply grab a buddy ( Anybody even your mom would do ) There should be a bleeder screw that runs down he from the slave cylinder ( I think, you can google it if you're having a time finding it, once you find it you'll be like damn there it was ) have someone press the clutch in, then you'll crack the screw, let fluid run until it stops then close the screw back. At that point your buddy can let off the clutch and you can add more fluid to the reservoir, and repeat until you satisfied. You might even feel/ hear air come out of the screw.... give it a try! DO NOT LET YOUR BUDDY LET OFF THE CLUTCH WHILE YOU HAVE THE SCREW OPEN! IF THEY DO AND YOU THOUGHT YOU HAD AIR IN YOUR SYSTEM BEFORE GUESS WHAT
Monday, July 28, 2014 2:48 PM
K, so I grab my dad who is a mechanic for Ford help me try and bleed the clutch. Did exactly as you said, but it didn't help. I'm going to take and drive it like this for a while and then try and get it replaced. I am hoping that I can do it at home in my garage as the LUK clutch kit is only $250. Can't really afford over $600 for labour. Shop labour here is roughly $125/hr.

Ya sorry about my first post. Re-reading it now I didn't ask any question, but I did mean too, must have been tired when I wrote it. Anyways here IS a question.

I took and recharged the A/C system with this RECHARGE kit about a week ago. It now seems to not be blowing cold anymore, but it is kicking the cooling fan on. Where is the common areas that this A/C system leaks and I should look at for damage? do you think this STOP LEAK might fix the problem?
Wednesday, August 13, 2014 11:03 AM
In my opinion bro you may need to look into getting some things fixed. I say that because if its loosing a recharge in a week then the leak must be pretty bad, so stop leak isn't going to work. My first suspect would be my low side and high side port. Usually the schrader valves ( If I spelled that right ) is leaking. I don't think they are an expensive part, my price dealership was 4 bucks for the upper part of the port and you can install them easily once the system is evacuated. The only issue I think you'd have is once you got your new ports on you may want to have your system vacuumed for about 15 minutes to remove any moisture from the system.
Wednesday, August 13, 2014 2:46 PM
An update on my car. I have got the air conditioning to work somewhat now. I took and put some dye in the system, and ran it for about 30 minutes. I have now checked everywhere outside the car with a black light and yellow glasses. I couldn't see any signs of a leak on the compressor, lines, or the condenser. I did check the pressure after a week and it seems to actually be holding pressure.

One thing I have found though... If I turn on the A/C it will kick on the fan, but not the compressor. If I shut the car off, reach down and turn the clutch on the compressor a couple times, restart the car and turn the A/C on, the compressor will kick in and works good. It looks like the compressor will probably need to be replaced, but I will do that next year and just live with it as is for now.

I do have another question. When it is quite warm outside (26+ Celsius), it seems to have a problem starting. It also does this after driving it for a bit. If it is cool out it doesn't have a problem. When you start the car it acts almost like it wants to stall. If I cycle the key a couple times, it will start fine. What could be causing this? I will be replacing the fuel filter this weekend as it looks like it has never been replaced.
Saturday, August 16, 2014 12:13 PM
STOP WASTING YOUR CASH ON THAT POS AND GO GET YOURSELF AN 04 OR 05 CAV WITH A 2.2 ECOTEC ,HELL THEY ARE LIKE $1500 ,WHAT ERE YOU WAITING 4 DUDE?

BLACKMANTIS
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search