Radiator - questions - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Radiator - questions
Monday, August 11, 2014 6:24 AM
Well after dealing with small leaks for a long time, over the weekend, a huge new hole/crack opened up and now I can't put it off anymore.
It looks like the grand total at the parts store for a new radiator and both upper and lower hoses runs around $150. That compares with anywhere between $500 and $800 that the repair shops want to do it.

I have read everything I could find and spent hours with my head under the hood so that I would know what had to be done when the time came but I still have not found out what I really want to know. Basically two questions:

1. Can you replace the radiator without raising the vehicle (2001 cavalier)?
2. How the HELL are you supposed to get the clamps off the radiator-end connections since they could not be in a more impossible-to-reach place? Do you have to buy/use one of those cable-operated (J38185) things? Because I just don't see any way that any kind of
pliers would ever be able to take those things off.

Other than that, it seems pretty straight-forward. But I would really appreciate any help that anybody who has done this can provide.

Thanks.

Re: Radiator - questions
Monday, August 18, 2014 9:51 AM
I replaced the radiator and upper and lower hoses last week. I damn near killed myself dealing with the spring clamps and trying to get them back on. In fact, I don't really think the one on the bottom in the most difficult to reach place is really on all the way but I was so torn up, sore, exhausted and bleeding at that point that I had to give up and hope it didn't leak. Well things were fine with 2 bottles of new coolant for about 72 hours, then the low coolant light came on and I had to crawl back under there with a flashlight to see what was going on. I expected one of the hose connections I just did to be the issue, but instead - whoopie - it looks like it is pouring down from around the water pump in a place I have never seen leaking before.

So now (not that I expect any answer, since I never got one before last weeks fun started) - is there anything BESIDES the water pump that could be leaking back there where the pump is that I just cant see? I am way too sore and not recovered enough from the radiator to even think about doing the water pump, so I have to end up paying a few hundred dollars anyway which is exactly why I did the radiator in the first place. Fun.

I've had several people tell me to replace the thermostat, but I don't get that. Whether or not the thermostat is broken or not - it still should not be leaking all the damn coolant out near the water pump, right?

2001 Cavalier 2.2 stick 187K

thanks
Re: Radiator - questions
Monday, August 18, 2014 1:10 PM
Not really anything else to leak in that area. The water pump is really easy to do on these motors. I did mine in a parking lot in just a couple hours. Pull the alternator and the bracket to get access to it and then it's just 4 bolts and she's out.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search