ANYONE EVER CHANGED THE AIR BAG CLOCKSPRING?? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ANYONE EVER CHANGED THE AIR BAG CLOCKSPRING??
Friday, August 15, 2014 11:20 AM
I need to change out the clockspring in my 2001 cavalier z24. Has anyone ever done it or know about how to do it. Is it not too bad to do or something I should let a professional take care of. Im very knowledgable but dont want to just jump into it.

Thanks everyone

Re: ANYONE EVER CHANGED THE AIR BAG CLOCKSPRING??
Thursday, August 21, 2014 2:27 PM
point the wheels STRAIGHT. The clock-spring is now centered .disconnect the battery for at least 15 mins before you start. Some manufactures require you pull the fuse, but the disconnecting the battery will be fine. Pull the air bag out. Mark where the steering wheel is on the steering shaft. then pull the steering wheel. You'll need a steering wheel puller to do so. when you get a new clock-spring, it will be centered from the factory. if you have a good used one, there is a procedure to center them on all-data(like turn all the way to the right/left, and go back 3 turns or something). I turned the clock spring all the way one way very lightly, until i felt resistance. turn the other way and count the turns. last time i did one, i counted 7 full turns. turn back 1/2 of that. with would be 3-1/2 turns. put it in, plug it in(be sure it's completely plugged in, and the shorting bars(if applicable) aren't connecting the pins), and re-assemble everything. The steering wheel may or may not be able to be rotated left or right before pressed on(which is why you marked it) but most cars only go on one way. Good luck!

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search