My first post: The strange idling issue with 91 RS convertible, solved! - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My first post: The strange idling issue with 91 RS convertible, solved!
Wednesday, September 10, 2014 7:37 AM
I have looked at the forum over the years, but never posted. I used to visit to see if other people were having the same issue I was with my 1991 Cavalier RS convertible (of which I am the original owner!). Basically, whenever I came to stop, the car was idling weird, slowly revving up to 1000 rpm then falling off almost to the point of stalling (and sometimes actually stalling). I saw people posting possible solutions such as oxygen sensors, ECM, vacuum leaks, etc. Well, I found the actual problem: these cars get clogged and destroyed fuel injectors from ethanol-based fuels. I tinkered with all the other solutions and had no success. However, replaced all six fuel injectors and everything resolved itself after one tank of gas ran through the system. Now runs like the day I bought it!

Re: My first post: The strange idling issue with 91 RS convertible, solved!
Thursday, September 11, 2014 10:43 PM
Old news for me! I know first hand about the ethanol problems as it pretty much killed my fuel pump strainer and gooed my fuel.My fuel pump bit the dust due to age,however after a full restoration on the entire fuel tank,hoses,fuel pump,fuel sender and etc fixed my issue.I want to point out just by adding some seafoam to your fuel say every other fuel up or when ever if it sits for long periods resolves the condensation goo caused by ethanol.In short it affects the entire fuel system.I soley run bp 93 octane NOW in my old 85 and ALL my lawn equipment period with seafoam added to the fuel gas cans I use every time period.All my two cycle equipment gets several ounces of seafoam added to the fuel mix gas jug as well.Ethanol just wreaks havoc on the older cars period and running a higher octane fuel with or without ethanol (10% here) just add seafoam or say lucas fuel additive to the fuel and that keeps it from occurring.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search