Turn Signal Issues... - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Turn Signal Issues...
Sunday, September 14, 2014 11:51 AM
Hello J-Body Forum! I've been meaning to join for a while, but haven't had a chance. Now that I'm having an issue I can't figure out, I don't have much of a choice.

I drive a 1997 z24 Cavalier. A few days ago, my left turn signal dash light was blinking very rapidly. I checked my lights, and the marker and bumper light was flashing very fast, and the rear light was flashing at a normal rate. Yesterday, my rear left brake light stopped blinking. So I replaced the bulb this morning. Same problem. So I removed the front left turn signal(the one inside the bumper, not next to the headlamp). Well with that light removed, when I push the turn signal switch down(left) it makes a horrible whining/screeching noise.
I'm new to fixing cars, I'm still learning. And i can't figure this problem out. Please help.

Re: Turn Signal Issues...
Sunday, September 14, 2014 1:04 PM
There is a ground that goes from under the battery tray to the bellhousing. This being disconnected caused this problem for me. It may be corroded or broken

It's a grounding issue for sure.

Just where is the question.

That's where I would look first.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Sunday, September 14, 2014 1:49 PM
Matt Linke wrote:There is a ground that goes from under the battery tray to the bellhousing. This being disconnected caused this problem for me. It may be corroded or broken

It's a grounding issue for sure.

Just where is the question.

That's where I would look first.

Ground wire...Personally that doesn't make sense to me. But it's worth a look! Is this an easy to find wire?

What's causing the screeching from the cluster then, when I pull out ONLY the turn signal bulb?
Sunday, September 14, 2014 3:57 PM
The ground is the same wire that attaches to the battery negative, follow it and some 10 inches from the bat terminal it has a connection to the battery tray, get the bolt out and clean all surfaces bolt, tray and eye terminal reattach fasten and see if that solves the problem.If it does good...if it doen´t I would replace the flasher under the dash close to the steering colum, to locate it put the swirch in the on position put the turn signal lever to on get under the dash and look or listen for the small piece that goes "clicj,click,clik" that should be the flaher...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search