2.2 eco timing chain noise? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 eco timing chain noise?
Tuesday, September 16, 2014 1:20 PM
Hello all,

I've had this knocking/slapping/tick sound going on for a few years now. The engine has always run fine, and continues to do so, but this sound is getting worse and it's time to get greasy. The sound is coming from the cam gear area, and is very easy to hear in that spot. The sound is also very audible when you are holding an RPM on the highway or just driving normal. A very rapid slapping, ticking sound.

I've read around and it sounds like it could be the tensioner, however how do you know if that is bad? What should I look for when I remove the valve cover? Any tips would be nice.

Thanks!

2004 eco, 5 spd

Re: 2.2 eco timing chain noise?
Tuesday, September 16, 2014 4:15 PM
Change your timing chain tensioner and you will be fine. Double check your timing chain guilds as well just to make sure none of them are broke.
Wednesday, September 17, 2014 8:10 AM
Thank you for the reply! I'll take a peek at it.
Wednesday, September 17, 2014 11:45 AM
So after some thinking, lets say my chain is stretched pretty good, and the piston is maxed out on the tensioner, putting a new tensioner in wouldn't really solve my problems would it? Doesn't seem like it.
Wednesday, September 17, 2014 2:33 PM
Since you've been having this problem for a long time I'd say it's likely that at least one of the guides is damaged. Your motor probably has the original timing chain tensioner which was a flawed design. This was the cause the death of many ecotecs in that time period. Luckily, GM revised the tensioner design and it works MUCH better. Here's a link to that part:

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/Ecotec-Timing-Chain-Tensioner-12608580-P10722.aspx

You'll have to pull it apart to see how extensive the damage is. I've seen these motors run fine with a little noise like you're describing but had all of the guides broken off and laying in the pan upon inspection. They could have jumped timing and blown at any time.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, September 18, 2014 12:25 PM
Good call. I'm just going to go through and replace the chain and guides, etc. Might as well with 150k miles.
Thursday, September 18, 2014 12:38 PM
sscavalier wrote:Good call. I'm just going to go through and replace the chain and guides, etc. Might as well with 150k miles.

That's exactly what I would do.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, September 19, 2014 5:26 AM
thanks for the tips man. Would it probably be wise just to do all of it? Balance shaft chain, guides, and a water pump as well?

I've got a fresh spare engine sitting around, but would honestly like to see how far I can go on this engine first before it really starts getting after my pockets.
Saturday, September 20, 2014 10:50 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:Since you've been having this problem for a long time I'd say it's likely that at least one of the guides is damaged. Your motor probably has the original timing chain tensioner which was a flawed design. This was the cause the death of many ecotecs in that time period. Luckily, GM revised the tensioner design and it works MUCH better. Here's a link to that part:

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/Ecotec-Timing-Chain-Tensioner-12608580-P10722.aspx

You'll have to pull it apart to see how extensive the damage is. I've seen these motors run fine with a little noise like you're describing but had all of the guides broken off and laying in the pan upon inspection. They could have jumped timing and blown at any time.

Go with that company and get the whole kit that replaces it all. How many miles on you motor? If low 100K I wouldn't worry about water pump unless you want peace of mind knowing it's done.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search