How to diagnose & replace a power window motor on 2-door. - Page 2 - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: How to diagnose & replace a power window motor on 2-door.
Monday, December 03, 2012 8:25 PM
Cliff: Sorry for the slow reply. I'm not exactly sure about the steps you'd follow, but I think you'll basically need to detach the motor from the door (by drilling out the rivets) so that the window can be manually raised and lowered (with the motor still attached to the regulator assembly), and then go back and do the steps, that require the window to be in a certain position so that you can remove the limiters and detach it from the regulator, etc.. If the window is in the up position you'll need to secure it in place (perhap with tape or some padded C-clamps) so that it doesn't come crashing down when you remove the motor.

Thursday, September 26, 2013 6:11 PM
RazzMaTazz wrote:
22) Drill a (roughly) 1/8” hole through the regulator back plate and right through the balck sector gear. Put a bolt through the hole and secure it tightly with a nut so that the spring-loaded sector gear can’t move and come unsprung. If you don’t do this, then when you remove the motor, the spring will unwind, which will result in ruining the assembly, and which could result in injury.

Correct on all accounts. Mine let go (I guess my nut wasn't on securely enough...), and the sharp end of the regulator assembly gave me a wicked gouge today. Not fun. I think the bleeding's stopped, finally...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, September 26, 2013 11:58 PM
Friday, October 18, 2013 7:02 PM
Does anyone have a picture of the spring side of the regulator assembly on the convertible? Mine is a 2000 if it makes a difference.

I didn't have the assembly tightened down enough when I took the motor off, and the regulator spring shot me in the leg. Now I put it back together, and with a new motor the window goes down really, really fast... but won't even move up without assistance. I suspect I have the spring in backwards, but I'd love to see a pic of what it's supposed to look like.
Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:50 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your spring unwinding and injuring you. The only pictures that I have are the ones that I posted earlier. Apparently you didn't wind the spring enough. I guess in the worst case you could take the one off of the other door and make sure that they're assembled as mirror images of each other.
https://picasaweb.google.com/104746918913021986185/CavalierWindowMotorRepair#
Friday, October 25, 2013 4:54 PM
A friend tipped me off to a 96 Cavalier 'vert in a local yard, so I went and grabbed the regulators today (both sides!! Now I have a spare), so I'll compare that one to the one I re-assembled.. Maybe I did put it in backwards, or not in tight enough. We'll see.

Either way.. the regulators I grabbed have new looking motors on both sides, no rust whatsoever.. along with minty window trim/weatherstrip, unlike mine which have bubbled up along the bottom edges.. as well as four perfect clips for the front edge of the glass. Also the door pins were in perfect shape but mine are wearing out. So I have some nice new parts to install!
Monday, September 29, 2014 8:14 AM
Attaching original pictures for others.
Attachments
Rear-limiter-Driver-side.jpg (87k)
Ratcheting-screwdriver.jpg (125k)
Regulator-with-bolts-inserted.jpg (118k)
Power-Window-Motor.jpg (63k)

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, September 29, 2014 8:15 AM
Adding the rest of the pictures to help others.
Attachments
Front-limiter.jpg (82k)
Driver-Door-with-limiter-bolt.jpg (82k)
Door-panel-rear-track-bolt.jpg (94k)
Door-panel-rivets.jpg (81k)

PRND321 Till I DIE
Monday, September 28, 2015 2:30 PM
I knew this day would come. glad I attached the pictures.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Thursday, October 01, 2015 5:11 AM
I used 8x M6x1.0X12mm long socked head bolts, washers, and nyloc nuts to replace the window motor rivet.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search